Chassis strap

Hi all,

Series 111 88 inch 2.25 Petrol , Manual 1983

Webbing Strap that goes from a bracket on the rear chassis around the axle has broken, the bracket has departed from the chassis. Do I need to worry and get it sorted for safety?

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Renshaw

First off, it can be an MOT failure if you have one on one side but not the other (or at least mine once failed for that reason). If you remove both straps then it shouldn't be a problem.

The check straps are there for two reasons that I am aware of - to stop the propshaft splines dislocating if the axle were to drop too far and to stop the spring shackles reversing in the same circumstances. I've not seen either of these problems occur on the rear axle and I took the decision on mine to remove them.

After 2 years of off road and on road use I didn't have any problems as a result of the check straps being missing.

The only thing that would concern me in your position is that, if the bracket has come away from the chassis, I'd be concerned about the state of the chassis itself... It might be worth having a good dig at it with a screwdriver and see what you find.

cheers

Dave W.

Dave White

we removed the straps on the series II and series III we had. we used them both off road and it was fine. I have seen one instance where the propshaft come apart at the splines but that was very hard off road use. Richard

Reply to
Richard

The shock absorbers will prevent either of those happening, the straps are there to prevent the shock absorbers being damaged by being suddenly pulled to full stretch. Having said that, I don't think that a modern shocker would have any problem restraining the axle on full droop.

Reply to
SimonJ

If your shock absorbers can be "suddenly pulled to full stretch" they need replacing anyway... they should have the same resistance to being opened up as they do to being closed. Unless it's a gas shock absorber which is probably the last thing you need on a Leaf sprung motor (unless it's on parabolics of course).

cheers

Dave W.

Dave White