defender 110 respray +fitting central locking

Blimey. I've been quoted for a respray. From the lads at Fakenham.... £1500. OMG! Think i'll pass on that for now. The quote for fitting of central locking £450. Oh & I didnt include VAT. Cash would still be prohibitive at those prices. So if anyone can point me in the right direction for a cheaper option im all ears.

Reply to
ZoNeHeaD®

Okay, here's your cheaper option. Paint it yerself. Before you go "'course not, I couldn't do that" realise that there cant be *many* cars that would be easier to paint than your 110. Its all straight panels, very few curves, perfect for rollering. Rollering!!?? Yes you read it right, but dont knock it till you've at least given it due consideration. There are quite a few peeps who have rollered 'easy' motors this year, like a v-dub panel van, and one or two more adventurous ones who've had a go at a curvy Beetle. Rollering not for you? Okay, purchase a small compressor and have a go at spraying it. Mask it up decently first, and then what have you got to lose? Only the cost of the paint - about fifty quids worth should get you enough quality gear to cover a 110, a bit more if you wanna go crazy and do the panel shuts too. Dont think you can get a good finish from either of those methods? You're wrong...

Reply to
nullified

ah the spirit of Adam Ant - Stand and deliver - if you can join wires together toddle down to Maplins for the CL kit

Derek

Derek

Has anyone actually ever fitted one of these kits to a defender?

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

I tried to help a mate install one in his 110 a month back and its just not fit to be in a xmas cracker, i can't even be arsed to explain how bad it was - dunno how Maplins can get away with selling that sort of crap - and they refused to give the money back saying it had been used!

I used to love Maplins (as a kid) spending me pocket money on BC108s and ZN414s - i think they will be joining Focus soon.

Reply to
Sean

Cor, that brings back happy memories too. Maplin have a unique catalogue

- it lists all the stuff they've just stopped stocking, but then it only reflects its customer base. How many people are still in the electronics hobbyist market ? There's none of the mags left anymore, all of the old dealers in components, like Watford electronics, just do PCs.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

Rad roll a 110 ?? Now thats sommat I didnt consider. Having stippled and marbled in my youth working for a decorators firm in west hampstead doing up posh houses, Rad rolling a 110 shouldnt present a problem. Its just :

1a) Mask tape all areas not requiring paint.

1b) Rub down all over. ( knackering ) : ( To "Key" the surface.

2) 1st coat of primer/oil based undercoat. using a rad roller.

3) Rub down with wet emery.

4) 2nd coat of undercoat. again with a clean rad roller.

5) Light rub down with wet emery cloth again.

6) 1st coat of gloss. Yet again another clean rad roller.

7) Feathered rub down with dry emery cloth.

8) 2nd coat of gloss.

Job done unless "Grinning" is apparent in which case another bloody coat of gloss.

Painting is the most boring tedious frustrating job i've ever done. Wore my fingerprints off back then hehe. My boss was a perfectionist. And if it rained !! I dont have a lock up big enough for a landie. If anyone mentions a "Tent", LOL.

Reply to
ZoNeHeaD®

Everyday Electronics, Wireless World, Elektor can still be brought in WH Smiths so i guess there must be a few hobyist left - but they mostly feature projects using PICs or ready built modules - i still have a working digial clock that i made out of 7400 series ICs and inch high LEDs, bloody wonderfull thing only looses an hour a day and draws 2 amps, but i built it all meself.

Reply to
Sean

I don't know how big the market is in total, but Maplins do a goodish line in the commoner components, both in their shops & on line & the old corner shop type dealers have been replaced by online merchants. Even RS have a non-trade availability on line at

(I think). Google finds it easily enough.

The reason the magazines have gone over to PICs & weird projects is that you can buy most things ready made for about half the retail cost of the components, so you're left with needing to make a combination weather station/ alarm clock/ model train controller/ helicopter control system which takes the visibility into account before it's easier & cheaper to make your own;-)

Of course, this leaves the question of where the next generation of electronic engineers are coming from....

Tciao for Now!

John.

Reply to
John Williamson

Maplins started going downhill the moment the catalogue went colour!

AndyC.

Reply to
AndyC

How sad is this - the first trip i took on a train on my own was from Reading to visit the Maplin shop in Southend to buy the parts for a

10W stereo amp that I'd designed, including a sheet of ali which i bent into a L to mount everything on.

Maplin is full of stropy kids these days - last time i went they tried to charge be double their advertised price for a length of heavy duty speaker cable saying that the price of copper had gone up.

Reply to
Sean

I had a go at fitting central locking to my Transit camper a while ago, I just went to a scrap yard and got proper motors, the panel switch and the relay from an old Cleo, cost me about the same as Maplin and was good quality. I gues plenty of other cars vould be donors so long as the locking is independent of the ECU. It worked perfectly on the front doors but I found the rear lock just wasn't suitable for motorizing. Greg

Reply to
Greg

That's a hell of a price for a big can of green Hammerite and a pack of cheap paint brushes...

Reply to
William Black

those mini rollers are the way forward. You can even get a good finish on the hammerite with em.

--

The 101 Forward Control Club and Register

Reply to
Tom Woods

Yep... heres my roller effort for anyone who missed it...

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D