Dim Dip

Will it b****r up the dim dip if I fit off road bulbs of higher wattage to the 300 Tdi Disco, 1996 model?

Ta, TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

Didn't make any difference when I did it on my 110!!

Reply to
John Moppett

What year ? Mine has some kind of resistor in the switch to handle the EU regs on dimming when ignition is switched off and new switch is expensive ?

Reply to
Hirsty's

On or around Thu, 22 Jun 2006 18:40:51 +0100, "TonyB" enlightened us thusly:

why?

disco lights on the 300 TDi are pretty good with standard-wattage bulbs. My night vision is not all that good, but I find them adequate for legal speeds on the road.

If you're bothered about off-road illumination, fitting more lamps with suitable relays would be a better bet, and not illegal; same applies if you're bothered about high-speed driving at night: a decent pair of spots is better than high-wattage headlamps, 'cos they throw a long beam and light the road up a long way ahead.

high wattage bulbs will overload the circuit and can cause switch failure among other problems, and high-wattage dip beams add to the problems caused by modern dipped lights being too bright and making it more difficult to see unlit objects.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Austin Shackles came up with the following;:

I'd agree with all that, and also suggest that if you're trying to uprate the lights for off-roading, then additional lights off-set from the 'normal' headlight positions, especially mounted high despite looking daft, will help to highlight dips and troughs a lot more than standard. or higher wattage, lighting.

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Although, since green lanes are actually roads (hence are covered by normal insurance), high mounted lights are illegal when lighted - not that any policeman is likely to catch and/or prosecute...

Stuart

Reply to
Srtgray

Not when they are used in a proper manner, ie only wired so they can be turned on when high beam is on. When high beam is on, almost any amount of auxiliary lighting can prefectly legally be turned on.

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Even up high? Well, you learn something new every day.

Stuart

Reply to
Srtgray

As far as I can remember high according to construction and use regulations high mounted 'driving' lamps must be on a separate switch and NOT connected to the main beam circuit (although mine are! oops).

Richard

Reply to
Richard

Thanks all, it's not that I'm disappointed with the 300's lamps, they are indeed very good and much much better than the 200, but I'm reluctant to let the 200 go with £16 worth of bulbs in it if I can use them on the new vehicle.

As it appears that I might cause lots of expensive problems by changing them, I think I'll bite the bullet and let them go. It just isn't worth the hassle of broken switches etc etc.

Thanks again for the useful info. TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

On or around Fri, 23 Jun 2006 19:04:19 +0100, "TonyB" enlightened us thusly:

a better use of yer money is the really good standard wattage bulbs like the philips vision plus or osram silver star. well impressive.

The other thing to check is that all the connections are clean and tight.

Reply to
Austin Shackles