Discovery 11 td5 key remote cloning

I have a 2nd remote for my td5 disco, which I bought for a couple of quid on ebay. LR say they need a barcode to set it to my vehicle, but I have heard that they can be cloned if you have the original remote. Does anyone know if this is possible, and if so where?

Also does anyone know where I might get a spare key blade?

Reply to
madhatchetman

Heh. At least you didn't spend too much.

LR will do it for you, at a price. I've not heard of it being done by cloning.

Get one while you are at the dealer getting the above issue sorted. You'll need the V5 and proof of identity IIRC.

Reply to
Rich B

Or do as I did, just turn upo with the key & the car, then they take £100 off you for a new one, as they can't be re-programmed!

Order a new key & pay the right brass & it's yours.

Reply to
Nige

And don't pay £142 for a secondhand one as some muppet did on ebay last month (180086615705). Mind you, the feedback suggests he didn't complete the sale. :-)

Reply to
Rich B

On ebay there is a guy in canada asking =A344 for a new key, but no barcode. He claims it can be cloned at my local key shot or by the dealer, but both of them deny it. Agents can be a little narrow minded (even bloody minded), and my local key guy looked in his book before saying "nay, not that brand on my equipment" but it seems to be generally true.

Reply to
madhatchetman

He would, though, wouldn't he?

Which would seem to be true.

I think I am going to sell some twigs from my garden on eBay. "Can be converted into Range Rover axle assemblies by your local main dealer. BIN price £299.99." I'm sure someone would be fooled, and by the time he realised it, I'd be gone.

Reply to
Rich B