Discovery II - ABS, HDC, TC

Hi

I know this has been asked a few times before but I had a newsreader crisis the other day and lost all my offline news - and information through Google seems contradictory...

For a few days, the three lights (HDC, ABS and TC) would come on, along with the brake warning and chimes. After a restart, the fault would clear. This seems to get more frequent. Now, when the car is turned on, the lights all go out - except the ABS of course - and a moment later the three fault light come on but without any chiming.

Searching the 'net tells me it could be the sensor (probably front wheel), the wiring, the wheel bearings or the ABS modulator.

Are there other common causes? I will probably get an independant to read the fault codes but my faith is thin after I was once told that smoke from my freelander meant a new turbo when it actually just needed a couple of hoses.

Does the pattern of progressive fault point to anything in particular?

Can anyone indicate the likely costs of the various options and/or recommend someone close to south Staffordshire who will not want the blood of my first born and a share in my house to get the job done?

Most annoying is that only two weeks ago - before all this - I had decided to sell it. Now I may not be able to afford to fix it or sell it!

Pete Harrison

Reply to
Peter Harrison

NSF sensor mate, i'm not a betting man, but i'll bet you a tenner.

Reply to
Nige

A simple replacement? Bet its not cheap. Does it need a testbook reset?

Reply to
Peter Harrison

OK, it will most likely replace OK, but the replacement part has a modded loom so you'll to arse about with that. Yes it will need testbook. But more than likely, the hub will be buggered & need replacement.

The sensors are about £70, hubs around £200.

Reply to
Nige

I live in the United states and own a 2003 Disco 2 and am having the same problems. Did you ever figure out what was wrong w/ your car and how to fix those lights. Might started to come on about 2 months ago and I only drive this car on nice roads. Doesn't make any sense. Let me know what you think, or what you did to fix your problem. I hope it all worked out for you.

Reply to
caljstevens

Well, I owe Nige a (virtual) tenner.

Took it to Craddocks to have the fault read. They charged me a completely absurd £56 for the privilege. It took the guy longer to write the reciept than do the work. If anyone knows a faster way to make money, let me know.

Anyway, it was indeed the NSF ABS sensor intermittent. It seems that after a few occurrences, the control unit goes into a proper sulk and the lights just stay on all the time.

Didn't manage to get it fixed until the day before yesterday.

I had a mobile fitter replace the hub unit completely. This, I am told, is necessary because the actual fault is probably a cracked hub. He tells me that a simple open circuit, dead sensor shows as that rather than intermittent. If you buy a sensor alone, the problem may not go away. The replacement hub comes with a sensor fitted. Curiously, the sensor alone comes with a cable that has to be wired all the way back to the controller whereas the sensor on the hub just plugs neatly into the existing connector under the bonnet (or hood).

Then it was off to a different independent who only wanted £20 to reset the fault on the control unit. While that is a better price, I suspect it was the same amount on a per-minute basis as he just took cash with no paperwork.

The replacement hub was £200 but shop around as they can be considerably more than that. It did not look a complicated job but getting the various bits undone took major effort and the application of heat.

Pete Harrison.

Reply to
Peter Harrison

Peter seems to have made a comprehensive response, so let me add this ...

There's your problem right away - nice roads.

Drive it like you stole it over every rough bit of ground you can find - it won't stop the faults occuring but you'll feel better about it.

Reply to
William Tasso