Ever bought something then regretted it?

On or around Mon, 28 Nov 2005 18:54:17 +0000, Mother enlightened us thusly:

That's if you're not there anyway :-)

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Que?

Reply to
Mother

If they are still there, the two er, mature gentlemen who ran the garage near the Abundant Life Church, in (I think) Wapping Road, Bradford 3 were, in my experience, very helpful, competent and straight. But I moved away from W.Yorks in 2000, and they may have retired by now.

TFP

Reply to
TFP

On or around Mon, 28 Nov 2005 21:38:34 +0000, Mother enlightened us thusly:

at Warren's.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Quality engineers never retire. They just get a little rusty...

Reply to
Mother

Ah, I see wot ya mean... :-)

Reply to
Mother

VERY expensive though. Mainly into S vehicles & Defenders etc.

-- Subaru WRX Range Rover LSE (Bob)

'"gimme the f*ckin' money"

Reply to
Nige

Well said that man! Sounds like there's honest garages up north as well. But they might be just guessing where the water's coming from, might be 'P' gasket in which case you'd be a tenner out of pocket ;-)

Martin

Reply to
Oily

Get it recovered there if you have to - you'll save money and get the job done properly. £900 for a head gasket? That ought to include a new head!

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

LOL.. that's impressive! You need to take more water with it though ;)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

You will have to get in quick, I've just started Extradition proceedings to get Warren Based in North Staffordshire.

;-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

On or around Tue, 29 Nov 2005 01:12:02 +0000, Tim Hobbs enlightened us thusly:

yebbut, main dealers, innit.

They tried to charge us 350 quid to change a 300 TDi vacuum pump - same pump, retail, delivered in a hurry, cost me 109 quid, so I doubt it costs the dealer more then about 60, and when I say same pump I mean it, same make, not a cheap copy (just a cheap crappy pump)

So that makes a minimum of 250 quid for labour - and that's a job which you'd have a hard time making it take more than half an hour from driving the vehicle into the shop to driving out again.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

In fairness, the Genune Parts pump is currently £259.81 + VAT

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 18:54:17 +0000, Mother scribbled the following nonsense:

'tis good coffee indeed!

Reply to
Simon Isaacs

On or around Tue, 29 Nov 2005 13:56:07 +0000 (UTC), beamendsltd enlightened us thusly:

maybe so, in which case they're ripping off for the pump itself as well as labour. The pump on the vehicle was AFAIK the original, and the replacement from Paddock was the exact same unit.

I understand the rationale behind the 70+ quid per hour labour charges, about the overheads and so on. What I don't see is paying 100% or more over the odds for the same parts. OK, *some* genuine parts are different, and may be higher quality. But not in this case.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Landie parts are generally pretty cheap for the size and strength of the vehicle. Ask someone with a modern sporty type car how much for low profile tyres, or springs and shocks. Horrendous. TonyB

Reply to
TonyB