Fairey overdrive

Hi,

I have just taken my fairey overdrive off the transfer box, however I can't get the small bearing/gear out of the transfer box by hand. Anyone got any ideas how to extract it without causing damage?

cheers

Tony

Reply to
Tony Boyle

Assuming you've removed the ring, lockwasher and spacer washer from in front of it, it's just a matter of putting a thin screwdriver behind it, between adaptor and spacer, and giving it a twist but don't hit the bearing cage. They just stick with the oil film.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

Should have said remove top plate with the four 5/16" BSF nuts, you can get to it with the screwdriver through there.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

Some are a lot tighter than others - depends on manufacturing tolerance. The last one I installed is going to need a puller to get it off. JD

Reply to
JD

I've never seen any that were tight, either slightly or otherwise, only stuck with crap, and I've never seen any differences in the manufacturers tolerances on the mainshafts when removing/fitting rear bearings and I would expect the splines to be to the same sort of tolerance. And I've done quite a lot over the years. If you installed the last one, and if it is going to need a puller to remove, then I would say you had some sort of foreign body in there or the splines were damaged when it was installed, and it must have been tight when originally fitted.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

I'm pretty certain there was no foreign bodies, and that the splines were undamaged. The drive dog was new from the outfit that currently has the tooling (Rovers Down South). The old one was a lot freeer.

JD

Reply to
JD

manufacturers

There you go, pattern parts. :-) Or some bugger might have chucked some loctite on it at some time, these things are sent to try us.

Martin

Reply to
Oily