Fuel cap lock

So the first time we get some real snow in the Peak District since I bought my 90 and I go and loose the feckin keys. And I've only got one set. How annoying is that?

Anyway, since the driver's door will open with pretty well any key, and Paddock's are only a half hour away, it wasn't too difficult to get and fit a new steering lock and get back in business.

However, we now have the problem that if the keys do not turn up before I next need to fill up with fuel, I have to get the fuel cap off in order to fit the new lock barrel I got at the same time as the steering lock.

I understand replacing the barrel is easy if it is possible to get the cap off, but how do I do that without the key? Do I just drill the old lock barrel out, or do I have to do something more drastic like take the filler neck off the vehicle so I can get as it from the inside?

Ideas gratefully received!

Nick.

Reply to
Nick Williams

Er, I'm not too sure about the drilling idea, high speed cutting tools and petrol vapour do not make good friends. I'd go with a big screwdriver with a hex at the base, so you can out a spanner on it, and a hammer :0) As you've already got the lock barrel.......

`Mark

Reply to
Mark

Reply to
news

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 01:38:13 +0000, Mark wrote (in article ):

It's a diesel, so not too much worry on the sparks side...

N.

Reply to
Nick Williams

simply run it out and have it recovered.... The keys will miraculously appear the next morning.....

Reply to
Mark Williamson