Garmin E Trex

Hi all,

I have finally done it, I have bought a Garmin E-Trex. Has anyone got one, what software will I need etc. I have bought it from the US for about £40 cheaper than here in the UK. I shall be installing it in my Disco.

P.S. Did the hinge on the Discovery back door - what a pig to do.

Reply to
Andrew Renshaw

I use Waypoint+ for uploading waypoints & routes from my PC

Niamh Holding

You could check out Gartip on

it lets you store/save your waypoints amongst other things. I haven't used it yet but others here have. Garmin also do their own software called Mapsource(?) which I have a copy of but to be honest haven't really used.

I mostly use my GPS (E-Trex Legend) for speed/distance measurement and to confirm my position on a paper map when out laning, it helps no end when the entrance to a lane is not immediately obvious on the ground.

Reply to
Simon Barr

While out laning I use a GPS mouse connected to a cheap 150MHz Pentium I laptop (50 quid on eBay) running MemoryMap. Memorymap sell good 1:50,000 OS maps to use with their mapping software, a little arrow tells you exactly where you are and how far a lane entrance or detour is away. It will log an entire days driving as a route with speed, time, altitude data. You can look at the route later with all this info and also "fly" through it in 3D. While on a tricky lane you can hit the add waypoint button to include a warning in the route.

If you want a small area (1/12 of Britian) in Landranger quality the maps are good value. It also comes with OK 1:250K and 1:1M maps included for general journey planning and motorway driving.

I like it.

DavidM

Reply to
DavidM

I've seen Memory Map as our Glass county rep uses it, means you have to have the laptop in the car with you though, too much aggro for me. Most of the time we have two people in the lead vehicle on any group, one driving and the other following a paper map using the GPS for confirmation of position.

If I want to I can add waypoints and record a days laning on the GPS and save it to my PC later as my Legend has the capability without needing memory map.

The 3D fly through sounds good fun though :-)

Reply to
Simon Barr