Gas guzzling 4 x 4s

Couldn't believe the article in today's Herald motoring section ( Scotland's main 'quality' newspaper )

"The 4x4 gas been subjected to much advers publicity, especially on the school run blah blah"

The article then goes on to say

"In his recent budget the chancellor promised to do something about it, and did so by increasing the duty on this type of vehicle by £45"

It gets worse ....

"If you don't want to rock the boat your best bet is to go for one of those equally large, but perhaps more sensible school runners, the MPV"

"The Ford Galaxy slips smoothly into that inoffensive category"

The mind boggles at a motoring correspondent being so unaware of the facts!

Jim

Reply to
jimmy

"Ah Jones, you want to be a motoring correspondant eh? right, just need to do the paperwork.

Lobotomy - check ability to follow the rest of the press like a sheep - check no driving skill except doughnuts - check

you'll go far"

Si

Reply to
Si Kellow

Wow that's like the polar opposite of the US, where you get tax breaks for buying a gas guzzler.

Reply to
eric

In message , eric writes

You do here also if it's a pickup - but that will change in 2007 on the basis that they have air conditioning fitted which is a luxury item according to the Treasury.

Reply to
hugh

Hugh,

Do you have a link to a definitive document on what the benefit in kind and VAT treatment will be. Maybe my google skills are below par, but I cannot find a document that really makes it 100% clear.

I know the BiK is going up to £3000 in 2007, but can't find much more info than that.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Have a look at

Flat rate for vans available for unrestricted private use is going up to £3000 plus there will be a flat rate charge of £500.00 if fuel for unrestricted private use is also provided.

To and from work is not counted as private use for vans, unlike cars.

Reply to
hugh