Help! S111 gear box

HI.

My 1980 ex mill. S111 gear box will not engage 3rd or 4th gear. 1st, 2nd and reverse are all fine. Have tried on the move and stationary, engine on, off.

Can't find book off words. will buy new tomorrow

Any help thankfully received

Reply to
nobby

Sounds like a detent spring on the synchro mesh unit for 3rd 4th gear have snapped jamming it.

This is a common problem. There are 3 of these springs Part No. RTC1956 cost around 50p each.

The problem is replacing these can be awkward. The proper way is to remove the gear box and strip out the Primary pinion and synchro unit. I have heard of people managing the replace them with the box in situ but I haven't tried it myself. I think there is a website describing how to do this somewhere.

Regards

Liam

Reply to
Liam

Thanks.

Reply to
nobby

Try

have replaced the synchro clips without removing the box but NOT easy.John

Reply to
John Sceal

Reply to
nobby