I didn't expect to see one on ebay this soon

On or around Wed, 08 Dec 2004 22:59:59 +0000, Tim Hobbs enlightened us thusly:

no doubt, though, if you reimported one they'd sting you for import duty or something.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Arrggghhhh it's silver. What is it with silver? Every new car is bloody silver.

Reply to
jeremyclarkson

I've heard no end of criticism about what the damn thing looks like. You often get this with new cars. People used to talk about the P38 looking like a Metrocab when it first came out (which is a fair comment) and everybody claimed to hate it. But once you get used to these things, opinions so often change. You don't hear people criticising the appearance of the P38 now.

The same thing happened with the L322 Range Rover, not so long ago. It's too big, too "slabby", etc... now everybody drools over them.

Let's have a poll in 3 years' time and we'll see if everybody still thinks it looks like a dog.

David

Reply to
David French

It's funny, isn't it. Silver has to be my least favourite colour for a car. It's the colour of blandness. But it's also the most popular colour for new cars.

The day I get a silver car will be the day after my lobotomy :) And if they botch the job, it'll be a silver 3-series :)

Reply to
David French

On or around Thu, 09 Dec 2004 09:08:50 +0000, David French enlightened us thusly:

I always thought the L322 looked OK though. Mind, the disco3 looks better in the flesh than in pictures, somehow.

I reckon the people making spare wheel carriers will have a field day though. who fancies off-roading in something with the spare underneath?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I've noticed alot of police cars are now silver, an attempt to increase thir value when they come to sell them off perhaps?

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

In article

The thing wth silver cars is that they don't need washing as often, somehow they don't show the dirt so much as other colours.

I've had blue, white, green and silver cars in the past and the silver ones didn't get washed very often at all but didn't really show it.

Yellow really shows the dirt though!

Reply to
Simon Barr

I don't really understand the logic of this objection.

Even if the spare wheel is wrapped in silk and carried in the boot, you won't be able to fit it without getting covered in shit. The wheel you take off is going to be covered in crap and you are going to have to get approximately under the car to jack it.

OK, so it is less accessible if you have the car up to its hubs in mud or ruts. In that instance, how are you going to jack the damned thing up to fit the wheel? I don't see any hi-lift points on it.

If you ARE going off-road and are worried you might need to change the wheel then put it in the boot. Or on a roof-rack.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

I'f forgotten you mentioned that before.

I learned an interesting 'income' one of my friends has developed over the last few years 'trading' pre-orders...

Reply to
Mother

Ludicrous. I prefer lycra miself...

Reply to
Mother

If you've got a bit of cash and a lot of bottle you can do rather well I would imagine. I think the new BMW X3 sold six months of UK supply before anyone had even seen the damned thing.

From memory I think I put down £500 to get on the list for an S-Type Jag (in the very early days). So you wouldn't really have to put down an awful lot of cash and I suspect 100% returns over six months would be achievable. And you don't even have to decide the spec until a few weeks before delivery, so you can change colour and spec.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Not to mention that if you're jacking off-road, more often than not the damned jack is going to vanish in the direction of Australia while the truck doesn't move..

Reply to
Ian Rawlings