Lake District National Park Authority - Well done!

Bear in mind that he, she or it might be going to remove an illegal obstruction, they certainly do exist.

Some can take it too far though, in the uk.rec.rights-of-way group (when it was still active) there was one rambler who boasted of carrying a machete to hack through someone's garden that was on a RoW, he said that the owners came out to bundle him off but when he waved it at them, they backed off. That kind of action can quite easily result in someone pulling a shotgun to defend themselves against the nutcase in the bobble hat who appears in their garden waving a sword!

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Shouldn't stand in the way of Darwin in action!

Reply to
GbH

It's almost worth buying a bit of land with a RoW on it just to stand in wait, ready for the culling... Perhaps it could be turned into a country sport?

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

I think we're onto something here. Now that hunting has been all but banned, we could start up a new blood sport to entertain us country folk :-)

Reply to
Matthew Maddock

Indeedy, in fact I've hardly ever come across terrain that's remotely challenging to even a stock 110 on a green lane, even in the Brecon Beacons, although I'm sure some of it exists. I'd recommend going to pay 'n' plays to learn how to drive off-road and also to practice some self-recovery on a quiet part of the site. That's how I found out how f*&% heavy waffle-boards are when packed with mud ;-) I've never needed to use them since.

Putting the effort back in is quite good fun, and highly recommended for those who don't already do it.

A permit-based system might be of use to allow those who want to make money from off-roading to use lanes in a responsible manner, with lanes that can take it being made available. If the company wants to use a lane that is not sustainable, then they should organise a team to improve the lane.

Personally I'd like to see what they've got in the U.S., national parks create trails over there for off-roaders, but most of them seem to be rocky trails so they'll out-last the trucks. Mud pies are boring TBH, undulating terrain, steps, trenches and other such things are much more fun.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

set th foxes on them?

Reply to
GbH

There is a huge variety in the quality of pay and play places too. I stopped going to one of the local ones because by lunchtime it was overrun by 'maximum attack tossers' in bobbed Rangies and some of the most dangerous recovery techniques imaginable. That and the bloke in the hi-vis marked 'Safety Marshall' drinking Fosters from the can put me off that particular place for good.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs