Leaking Sump

Can someone help me out? I have a rebuilt 2.5 NA in my 1986 110 County, it is leaking a lot of oil from the rear of the sump (not the rear crank seal fortunately) and after changing the gasket I noticed that the rear two crank bolts appear to have 'indented' the sump flange slightly (over torqued at some time?) which means that the rear of the sump flange 'dips' in two places, and I think this is where the oil is coming from when under pressure. As I see it I have a number of things I can try:

  1. A new or recon sump - expensive? I note its 'phone for quote' on Beamends which generally means the wallet will get hit
  2. 'Stop It' oil additive to stop leaks - or similar, has anyone tried or had any success with this stuff
  3. Gasket Goo - liquid gasket, again has anyone tried, can I use instead of the 'proper' gasket? Will it form a thicker gasket and fill the indentations?

Any advice would be welcome, this thing has been off the road for 9 months, a complete money pit, and now its all working again, MOT'd just this last little problem causing me to drive around with a drip tray in the back all the time...

Thanks in advance

Smudge

Reply to
austin_smith

Place a small piece of heavy gauge steel in the vice with a flat edge up to rest the edge of the sump on and use a medium hammer to straighten the sump against it.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

Accompanied by the sound of a chisel on slate austin snipped-for-privacy@dsl.pipex.com, managed to produce the following words of wisdom

I wouldn't recommend gasket goo on a sump.

Reply to
Pete M

phone for quote isnt always bad - can just mean he hasnt got round to adding the price yet.

I rebuilt a 2.5D. IIRC i had to tikle my sump a bit to get it nice and flat before i refitted it. I also used sealant on the gasket.

My landy a few years later has a healthy oily sheen on the bottom but doesnt seem to drip :)

--

The 101 Forward Control Club and Register

Reply to
Tom Woods

Odd that isn't it, my Defender's engine underneath is quite wet fluid-wise, and yet it doesn't drip and it's not consuming any fluids, never needs any top-ups between services. When I get on a crawler to look underneath I think "oh shit, something's leaking", but no, it's just pretending. It's been like that for years. I suppose it's just trying to fit in with the landy ethos.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Stops it rusting doesnt it! ;) When it starts dripping you know you have a proper leak! My car is exactly the same. Hasnt used any oil over 10k miles (when i last changed its oil), yet the bottom of it is minging.