Lincolnshire Land Rover Club

Had a day out at their driving day in Grasby Quarry.

Took my two kids, the wife and one of my kids friends, who all had a whale of a time and thoroughly enjoyed it. Eldest had a go in a 'quicker' vehicle, and came away saying he wants to get rid of the Trials bikes and wants me to get a Bowler Wildcat or something similar .. ;) Well done to the club, and the membership form will be 'in the post' when I get another tuit .. )

New BFG AT's 31 x 10.5 x 15 are most excellent .. but I have a question.

When going over _real_ axle twisters, the front and rear ends make crunching/grinding noises, similar to when my tyres used to catch on the bodywork, but which only lasts a second or so at full axle extension, so I wondered if it might be springs sliding on the collars or somesuch. Doesn't seem to matter which side is lifted, or whether front or rear is lifted. Anyone any idea what might be making such a noise?

There was no sign of tyre marks anywhere on the bodywork and no sign of scuffing on the tyres, they don't seem to be catching anywhere. I've spaced out the valance, but think we'll cut it down a bit, and the wife now agrees we'd do better with a lift, so longer springs/shocks (only an inch I think) will soon be sought as the front nearside corner seems a little 'springy' and new ones are 'needed' anyway .. ;).

Reply to
Paul - xxx

The suspension does make a few noises at full extension at times, it sounds to me like the springs shifting in their seats, but of course without hearing yours it's hard to tell. Have you checked inside the wheel arches for scrape marks where the mud has been scraped away?

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

That's what I was thinking the sounds were, but didn't describe them adequately. There are no scrapes in the arches, on any bodywork or on any of the tyres.

I think I'm going to have to get it cross-axled / suspension extended enough that I hear the noises again, then stop and see what I can see. We didn't get a chance to do this yesterday as we didn't want to block the course .. ;)

What is strange is that we've heard the noise again this morning, but as one wheel went over a brick, so it doesn't seem as if it's necessarily the extent of movement, but the nature of the movement. Again, as in all cases yesterday, we were going very slowly, so it's not a speed issue either.

I wonder if the axles can move fore and aft and if there's something amiss in that plane of movement.

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Possibly a CV joint on one of the props giving way causing fouling between flange and prop?

Could also just be a stone(s) rolling around somewhere that youve picked up and under articulation its fouling, though after driving home i would have expected this to fly / drop out.

Both of above would probably tend to point to noise from just one end of the car... worth checking though.

Jon

Reply to
Jon

Probably worth getting a breaker bar in there to shift each link around to see if there is play in the linkages from the axle to the chassis.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

On or around Tue, 29 Mar 2005 13:57:52 +0100, Jon enlightened us thusly:

You only have CV joints in the props if you've put them there yourself.

Land rover propshafts have UJs, or Universal Joints. The notable thing about these are that they're *not* CV (Constant Velocity) and this is why you a) have one each end of the shaft and b) they have to be aligned correctly.

Early LRs (series, in the main) have UJs in the front hubs, which is one reason why they're not full-time 4x4. RRs, Discos, Stage 1 V8s, and others have CV joints in the front swivels.

Reply to
Austin Shackles