series transfer boxes

Hi all

I am planning on cobbling together a spare gearbox out of a s11 and s111 boxes that i have. The main box on the s11 is pooped and the transfer box on the s111 is pooped are the transfer boxes on s11 and s111 the same? And if not are they still inter changable.

Thanks in advance

Icky

Reply to
the ickys

Yes they are the same but keep the rear mainshaft gear off the s11 matched to the transfer gears it was running with or the transfer box may be noisy.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

They're not all the same. It depends on how early your SII box is. the Intermediate shaft was uprated as it had a tendancy to fail, and the ratios were changed slightly on the next revision. If your main gearbox is Suffix C or later (vehicles built after March 1964) the you should be fine to swap them.

If you have a Suffix A or B gearbox then forget it, the A box has weaker intermediate/layshafts and the B gearbox has the wrong transfer case ratios, which will not match the SIII gearbox ratios.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Cheers guys. I will try & scrape the sludge off the boxes today in an effort to identify them!

Reply to
the ickys

As I read the OP the main question was would they fit together and the answer is still the same;

Yes *and* use the matching output gear from the S11.

I don't think the OPer is concerned about matching ratios or intermediate shaft size or any of the other multitude of differences, just if it will fit and it*will*.

HTH Martin

Reply to
Oily

Cheers . Thats all I need to know

Reply to
the ickys

Apologies Alex, what I should have said was 'same fitting', and 100% with you on the failings and updates.

Martin

Reply to
Oily