muddied waters

I can't see how to make it any simpler that it is!

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

It will be - and better. I'm about 2/3 way through Defender at the moment, where everything is broken down to match the pages in the parts books/CD's. This does throw up the odd oddity, but when done there will not be many pages more than one "screen" long. It's slow going as I'm putting every single part on as I go, Defender should be finished by the end of Jan, then it's on to Series II/III (which will a hell of a lot quicker.....). I also follow through the supersessions as I come accross them, which should help those working from a parts book, something I used to find deadly as a customer. I also record NLA's (No Longer Available) to avoid wasting time looking for something that you can't get.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

On or around Wed, 14 Dec 2005 21:29:53 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice" enlightened us thusly:

Some Roman text is difficult to read in small sizes - the thin lines tend to vanish.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

No no thrice times No , hate the stuff!

Reply to
JacobH

I don't specify a font - so you should get whetever your browsers default is.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

On or around Thu, 15 Dec 2005 09:13:25 +0000 (UTC), beamendsltd enlightened us thusly:

to be fair, the site works well. The colours are simple to change if you want to.

The only other thing is the searching for parts - and that, it seems, you're working on.

There's only one thing about parts books, and parts-book order... not everyone has one. depends on what the parts-book order is.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Generally reasonably logical (except clutch and other clutch stuff being in different places).

That is a problem occasionally - for instance 200 & 300Tdi intercooler hoses are in different places. I'll add some "fake" parts to use as pointers to the right place.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

I just had my first look and the RH images shows a black dash above the roof coinciding with the flasher, the alternate images have differing top right quadrants under firefox but Konqueror, IE and Opera just show the black dash. Not criticising just pointing out an anomaly.

AJH

Reply to
AJH

I know about that - the giffs were made up from a series of vector drawings converted to giff. They worked fine, and now they have the dashes. Unforunately the original vector drawings are lost, so it'll have to wait until I get a couple of hours spare to re-do them :-(

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

...and Dave Liquorice spake unto the tribes of Usenet, saying...

Dunno about screen fonts, but I did a bit of research into this (fonts on the printed page) a few years ago. It seems that over a good length of writing (like several thousand words), serif fonts (like Roman) are easier to read than sans (like Arial). Something to do with the serifs giving tiny cues to the eye so that the letters are recognised quicker, which speeds up the reading and (apparently) aids comprehension. Roman type must have lasted >2000 years for a reason! Personally, I prefer sans fonts for my own work - I do a lot of report writing in my job. Current favourite is Verdana. Very clean and elegant.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

...and Austin Shackles spake unto the tribes of Usenet, saying...

But it is blindingly fast. I always appreciate that.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

On or around Thu, 15 Dec 2005 20:50:01 -0000, "Richard Brookman" enlightened us thusly:

indeed. one of the main faults with Craddock is the slow loading.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Thu, 15 Dec 2005 20:48:35 -0000, "Richard Brookman" enlightened us thusly:

'tis a tidy one.

Of the serifed ones, I quite like Garamond for readability, although the good ol' Times New Roman takes a bit of beating.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Sshhh! Don't tell 'em ;-)

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

On or around Fri, 16 Dec 2005 09:13:25 +0000 (UTC), beamendsltd enlightened us thusly:

I don't think they lurk in here... poncey site with loads of unnecessary graphics.

I've no objection in principle to fancy graphics on the opening pages, but graphics in parts listings etc. are a waste of time.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Depends what you mean by graphics. A small picture of the part can give far more information that lots of words. If you are buying soley on unique part number and unambiguous part then a picture is a bit redundant but when there are several parts that could be the one you want, say due to small changes over time, a set of pictures is by far the best way to show which one is which.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

On or around Fri, 16 Dec 2005 16:17:57 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice" enlightened us thusly:

nah, I'm talking about silly graphical frames and background images for basically-text lists.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

That I agree on, though if the parts don't change URL they should come from your browsers cache on the next page rather than be downloaded again. But I wouldn't rely on that as a site writer.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

On or around Sat, 17 Dec 2005 11:44:35 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice" enlightened us thusly:

quite. Admittedly, I don't think I've looked at Craddock's site since I've had 1Mbit access... but on 64Kb ISDN it was irritating, and on slower dialups it was next-to-useless.

part of the problem is that for the most part, web designers have a high-speed connnection, and some of them lack the imagination to see what their cutesy site will work like at 40Kb.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Sat, 17 Dec 2005 11:44:35 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice" enlightened us thusly:

Just looked - it does run OK on broadband speeds. Still issues, though - like the discovery stuff all in on section despite that there are now 3 models of disco...

Reply to
Austin Shackles