OT - building a curved fence

Since i dont know where else to ask this, i am wondering if there are some woodworkingly inclined people round here..

My back yard has a 3-4 ft wall round it. I'd like to extend it up to 6 foot to make it a bit more private and keep the local chavlets out. (since i back onto council garages and theyve discovered the joys of stone chucking and coming into my garden as it is all fairly open.)

This would be easy if the wall was straight but some genious decided to make it curve rather then going in straight lines like the edge does on my deeds.

I'm thinking that the cheapest and easiest way to do it would to be to build a wooden fence above the level of the bricks, and attach it to uprights screwed to the inside of the wall. However - since the whole thing curves slightly it looks like i need to either do it in lots of small 2-4ft straight sections or curve the whole thing.

Could i use lots of vertical slats cut to length fixed to a a couple of bits of horizontal bracing which then attach to my uprights? Am i best off overlapping them slightly or do they work fine just butted up?

Is it possible to get wood that i can bend slightly horizontally - or is it just likely to snap or not last/work very well if i did that? and i should be planning to do it as lots of short straight sections?

Ta

Reply to
Tom Woods

Yes that helps thanks! and is pretty much what i was thinking/hoping! I have already visited B&Q and been confused by the choice! (though i found the treated section!)

I will look for some fresh looking rails with no knots in.

The radius isnt too bad as its a gradual curve. I suppose that the amount of uprights i require depends on how well i manage to bend it to go flush?

Any recommendation on how long my uprights should be? I suppose that if i make them so that they go as far down the inside of the wall as they can without touching the floor would be strongest. I also assume I am best drilling and rawlplugging and then screwing into breezeblock type wall blocks to fix posts to them?

Reply to
Tom Woods

In message , Tom Woods writes

Try uk.rec.gardening

Reply to
hugh

Yes

Dynabolts or similar - rawlplugs won't be up to the job.

EMB

Do you think the brickwork is upto the stresses imposed by bent timber? if not, think about burying the end in a bucket of concrete.

depends on the material and thickness of the blocks - consider coachbolts (or similar) and dirty girtbig washers.

Reply to
William Tasso

You can make curved timber by laminating it - use dressed strips thin enough bend to the required radius, make a jig to hold them in shape and clamp and glue using a marine grade waterproof glue. Then finish as you normally would. JD

Reply to
JD

Have a look for a local timber yard, the one I use is a fraction of the price of B&Q for far better timber.

Greg

Reply to
Greg

If you've got the energy then dig good post holes about 2 feet deep and concrete the uprights in, 3"x3" treated timbers are the norm. Then you won't need to fix to the wall at all and won't put stress on it, remember the wooden fence will give naturally in the wind and transmitting that to a rigid wall is not the best idea.

Greg

Reply to
Greg

the brickwork aint too bad, though it isnt perfect. im only after 3 foot of woodwork on the top, and using concrete introduces another few quid of cost per post and some more work.

the blocks are the size of breezeblocks but solid (no hole in the centre).

its a fairly nice area (as ex/council estates go) but we seem to be getting an influx of apprentice chavs from a road or two over(which has deaths from gun crime rather than old age). Im not expecting it to withstand a lot of force but mainly want it to keep prying eyes out and remove the temptation.

Reply to
Tom Woods

According to my book of words you can curve timber by making a series of deep parallel cuts about an inch apart according to required radius. Never tried it though.

Reply to
hugh

You can - always struck me that this introduces much larger surface area and is therefore not suitable for outdoor applications.

The laminating method described above is IM(NS)HO much better for this type of job.

Reply to
William Tasso

Like William says, kerfing is a terrible method, except in indoor applications, and only when its hidden well. Its alright for making templates for laminations though.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

Or steaming. Building a steamer big enough could be an interesting project!

Reply to
Richard Brookman

I can't see the point of going to all that trouble, why not just knock the wall down and rebuild it to 6 ft following the straight line on your deeds??

Martin

Reply to
Oily

I would have thought that the bricks would be more expensive than wood for the fence, and judging by how long it took me to rebuild one end of the wall it would take a lot longer than working with wood! :)

I will check out the price of blocks that match the existing to see if i can just build 3 or 4 more rows ontop of it and but some buttresses on the inside.

Reply to
Tom Woods