OT : Car transporter trailer borrow/hire??

Don't suppose anyone in here has a car transporter they wouldn't mind lending/renting to me for 3/4 weeks do they?

We need to get my wife's car down to the new house and she is refusing to drive it down there (too far on the wrong side of the road - and scary motorway!) so the best option I can think of is to stick it on a transporter on the back of the van. Only problem being I looked into buying one, and I reckon it would be cheaper to just buy a new car! I know I could re-sell it, but to be honest I don't have the time for that.

We'd need it Thursday next week and I would be coming back probably about 3 weeks later, definitely no later than a month, but could come back earlier if necessary. We are in the Bristol area but willing to travel a bit if someone is kind!

Any other help/advice welcome!

Cheers,

Matt

Reply to
Matthew Maddock

Try prodding some car transporter firms, ISTR some of them hiring out drivers to drive the car, unless you can get a trailer for free it might work out cheaper.

Failing that, how about offering someone a weekend in France, transport and hotel room fees paid!

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Weekend in France anyone ?! :-) terms as suggested!

Matt

Reply to
Matthew Maddock

A-frame + trailerboard?

I've seen large camper vans with microcars on A-frames touring around so I assume it'd be legal for that distance. I don't know the law on this though.

Reply to
PDannyD

P.S. No nutters who drive at 159 MPH :-)

Reply to
Matthew Maddock

definately easiest to get someone to drive it down for you. offer friends and relatives a short break! My parents are getting their 'spare' car to their place in france by getting my uncle to drive it down, and then he gets a lift back home off them a few days later (they went down in their other vehicle prior to this) leaving their spare car at the french house.

Reply to
Tom Woods

"Matthew Maddock" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@bt.com...

Hi

Where about in France? And do you need the car down immediately?

Got a friend who transports private cars down to Spain, and trade tends to get a bit slack at this time of year, he may have space on the transporters.

Regards

Nigel

Reply to
Bear

Did think about that, but then I came across this...

"I have a motor home and want to tow a Fiat Seicento behind it using an A-frame. This car has a kerb weight under 750 kg so am I legal with this outfit?" Sorry no is the answer. The law regards this as an unbraked trailer and you are allowed to tow up to 750 kg Gross Trailer Weight, not a car?s kerb weight. The figure you have to use is the car?s Gross Vehicle Weight or Maximum Permitted Weight. This is usually at least 300

- 400 kg more than the kerb weight. We have no knowledge of any car sold in the UK that has a GVW under 750 kg. The only vehicle we know that is completely legal to tow with an A-frame is the French Aixam small "car". This is a full four seater and details can be obtained from Aixam UK on

01926 886100. An A-frame or dolly can only be used to recover a broken down vehicle to a place of safety. Transporting a car is, therefore, illegal. A-frames may be offered with a braking system that applies the car's brakes. These do not conform to the law as the car then becomes a "braked trailer" and has to conform to European Directives contained within the Construction and Use Regulations. It does not conform to the European Directive 71/320/EEC and amendments regarding braking requirements in any way. The use of this A-frame for transportation is illegal. It is still OK for use to recover a vehicle to a place of safety.

However - like you say, I have seen cars towed by motor-homes, so not sure how they get around that.

Matt

Reply to
Matthew Maddock

Needs to be end of next week / early the week after as we don't have any transport that we can all get around in until it is there. All a bit complex, but I need the van (or rather what is in the van!) there more urgently than I need the car.

Matt

Reply to
Matthew Maddock

"Matthew Maddock" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@bt.com...

Hi

Had a word with that friend, the answer is no, the time frame is completely out....

But he does have a car trailer for sale, heavy duty type, which he bought a while ago, to transport his RR around. If you're interested let me know.

Regards

Nigel

Reply to
Bear

If it's right hand drive, why not flog it in the UK and get one in France?

Stuart

Reply to
Srtgray

I night be interested, how much is he asking? (email me OL if you prefer, my email isn't too munged!)

Stuart

Reply to
Srtgray

I asked my parents that and apparently the type of car he wanted (turbo diesel peugeut/citroen estate) was significantly cheaper in the UK.

Reply to
Tom Woods

In message , Matthew Maddock writes

They get round it by ignoring the law - happens all the time you know.

Reply to
hugh

Exactly! -- SIGNIFICANTLY being the operative word! To give you an idea, I bought a diesel Xanita in the UK a couple of years ago off eBay for £460 (mind you I did sell it 6 months later for £850!), I saw an almost identical vehicle advertised in a French 2nd hand car mag (equiv of Autotrader) it was 4500?! You are talking 2000? just for a heap of junk. I think it is because the French have a different attitude to cars

- i.e. it is something to get you from A to B and not something to show off - hence as long as it still drives it is worth money. Unlike in the UK where as soon as it is last year's model it is worth nout - which is obviously good for the 2nd hand car buyer, but not so good for the seller!

Matt

Reply to
Matthew Maddock

"Matthew Maddock" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@bt.com...

and parts are expensive over there too

Reply to
jOn

|| Don't suppose anyone in here has a car transporter they wouldn't mind || lending/renting to me for 3/4 weeks do they? || || We need to get my wife's car down to the new house and she is || refusing to drive it down there (too far on the wrong side of the || road - and scary motorway!) so the best option I can think of is to || stick it on a transporter on the back of the van. Only problem || being I looked into buying one, and I reckon it would be cheaper to || just buy a new car! I know I could re-sell it, but to be honest I || don't have the time for that. || || We'd need it Thursday next week and I would be coming back probably || about 3 weeks later, definitely no later than a month, but could come || back earlier if necessary. We are in the Bristol area but willing to || travel a bit if someone is kind! || || Any other help/advice welcome! || || Cheers, || || Matt

I have one (Brian James A-type) down in Pembrokeshire, about 160 miles from you. It's half "sold" at the moment, but if you are interested, get in touch and I'll see if the other guy is agreeable to some arrangement.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Richard - thanks for the kind offer, but I have got it sorted now. Last night we managed to re-arrange things so we drive the car down their full of family on Friday, and I fly back myself to pick up the van Monday. Now all I have to sort out is how I'm going to get from the house to Poitiers airport! Worst case scenario - a 15 hour walk! LOL

Cheers anyway,

Matt

Reply to
Matthew Maddock

Matthew Maddock uttered summat worrerz funny about:

DHL?

Derek?

;-)

Lee D