OT - leaf springs for a trailer

I have been offered a free small box trailer but when I went to pick it up found that a spring is broken. I am trying to see if it is feasable to repair it or if it would be cheaper to either buy a different second hand one or replace the leaves with the indespension type units which i can easily buy.

Does anybody have any sugestions as to where i might find a replacement leaf spring for an old box trailer?

or perhaps a site that lists all leaf spring measurements so that i can see if they match some sort of car?

I am looking for a spring 1.5 inches wide, roughly 18 inches from bolt centre to centre with a radius in the centre or around 6 inches if anybody has any idea if that makes it some standard type?

Reply to
Tom Woods

Tom Woods uttered summat worrerz funny about:

May be worth sending the seller your measurements. :-)

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

Lee_D uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Then again I've just seen the prices!

Reply to
Lee_D

found various vehicle springs on ebay but they all look too big. 18 inches like the ones on the trailer is pretty small!

I get the feeling that unless i can find one in the scrap yard its going to be cheaper to either buy a pair of indispension units off ebay - hopefully that fit the existing wheels, or buy a complete trailer off ebay.

Reply to
Tom Woods

Don't give up too easily. If it's not the main leaf that's broken then you can prolly take the spring to bits and weld the broken bit back up. If you just want the thing to trundle a few miles to the tip on a Sunday then you could just remove the springs altogether and weld/bolt the axle direct to the chassis with a spacer or two.

Julian

Reply to
Julian

Its the main leaf. It will just be for occasional use (after i've shifted a few tons of soil in it asap) I did think of just doing away with the suspension and having it direct. Is this wise? would it not stress the rest of the frame on bumps?

Reply to
Tom Woods

if you remove the suspension, aviod speed bumps. the trailer will bounce into the air,

be ready for when something breaks.

Reply to
banjo

I can think of a few trailers with no suspension. Very rarely will agricultural stuff have suspension, I've got a 6 ton Marshall tipping trailer in the yard that is solid, but so's the tractor that I pull it with. But, you wouldn't want to go much above 30 mph with it and you learn to 'read' the road ahead and slow off for the potholes.

I guess you pays your money and takes your choice. Solid suspension is doable for sure, and if you can't find a spring then you haven't much to loose really, but you will have to drive sympathetically at times.

Julian.

Reply to
Julian

Well, I've driven a car with suspension but no dampers, and it was bloody lethal at much above walking pace, so I'd be more worried about coming off a roundabout and finding the trailer hanging out the side as an undamped bounce had set up on the unsuspended side and the trailer was hopping about like a grasshopper on speed.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Stick a little logic into the equation, push bikes have no suspension, just a tiny amount from the tyre. You don't see push bikes hopping around roundabouts. Last time I saw the Tour de France on the box they were going at a heck of a lick!

Suspension with no dampers is a different animal, and not relevant to the OP's problem.

Julian.

Reply to
Julian

It's not logic, it's amounts, a pushbike has tiny tyres and is very light, whereas a trailer has a much larger air volume and can be heavier with a load. Hopefully it'll be OK though, I think my parent's trailer used to have just a bendy piece of metal, undamped, and it was OK.

I also forgot to mention that the car that was lethal with no dampers was also pushing 300BHP through the back wheels ;-)

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Trailers rarely have dampers anyway. The latest offerings with indespension units have no dampers - that includes Ifor Williams 3.5 ton ones (heavy and with non tiny tyres) Your argument regarding grasshopers on steroids at roundabouts is spurious.

I drove my Disco up the lane with no front dampers (just for a laugh) I was midway through putting new front turrets on it. It made me smile!

Reply to
Julian

Yep I realised halfway through that damping isn't such an issue, although I'd still be worried about having solid suspension on a trailer not intended for it. Consumer trailers aren't that strong.

My old lotus's rear wheels were slapping up and down when I put the power down, that was pretty scary!

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Hi Group

Try to find one of the old fashioned blacksmiths. One of them made up a spring for me

Alan

Reply to
Roberts

Roberts uttered summat worrerz funny about:

In that case, there is a Blacksmiths just down past the Mainwering arms Tom.

Wrought Iron madness or something like that they go under.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

This is the way to go but finding a blacksmith is going to be the problem. There are some spring manufacturer/repairers still around. Try Spring Manufacturers & Suppliers in Yellow pages but be prepared to eliminate many who only deal with coil springs.

This is the sort of place:

Where are you?

Reply to
Dougal

Wheres the mainwaring arms?

Reply to
Tom Woods

I am in crewe/stoke on trent

I have sent queries to a few spring suppliers. One has answered to far and said they dont have the size i want but the nearest one is £95/pair.

A set of indispension units off ebay is about £70 new or less in a proper auction!

Just got a lead on a local one spring place so gonna try them tommorrow (P & S in fenton if that means owt to the locals on here)

Reply to
Tom Woods

Tom Woods uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Three Mile lane from Keele towards Whitmore when you get to the hard left over the bridge (watch out for 110 gearbox bits in the road!) they are just on the right as you go up the bank towards the A53 Junction. Worth it if only for a trip to the pub! :-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Aaah. i know the place. Ive been to that pub a couple of times and it is very nice but has low hard doorframes!

Reply to
Tom Woods