OT: paint removal

My wifes maroon saab is now sporting a blue wiggly stripe down one side, kindly donated by some local muppet.

After careful thought we have decided that this expression of art is not to our taste and would like to return the car to a more uniform maroon, bereft of blue.

How can we easily, cheaply and neatly remove said stripe? it's over 4 panels in a wiggly line.

I was going to take one of those green pan scrubber things and some kitchen cleaner and see if it would lift, followed by a treatment of colour magic stuff.

Any ideas boys and girls?

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

DONT USE THE PAN SCRUBBER !!!!!!

Try t-cut...if the paint is still relatively fresh it shouldnt really have too much of a problem getting it off (but just to be sure try in a small area first, just in case it isnt spray paint)

johnty

future landrover owner

Reply to
johnty

I've used Duraglit (brasso) for this purpose many times (on my cars, not my battlewagon!). Try on a small area first.

Reply to
Neil Brownlee

Twas Tue, 13 Jul 2004 09:16:50 +0000 (UTC) when "Neil Brownlee" put finger to keyboard producing:

brasso?!?!?

I would never have thought of that one...

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

in article snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, Mr.Nice. at snipped-for-privacy@-nospam-clara.co.uk wrote on 13/7/04 10:39 am:

You can get T-cut with colour in it. Bruce used some on the Discovery after one of the kids found a red touch-up pen(for the Volvo we had had previously) and wrote their name on the door just under the wing mirror.

Reply to
Nikki Cluley

Well kept secret - like baby wipes to clean leather seats ;-)

Reply to
Neil Brownlee

:-)

I removed felt pen graff from Grumble with Acetone...

Reply to
Mother

Twas Tue, 13 Jul 2004 10:26:53 +0000 (UTC) when "Neil Brownlee" put finger to keyboard producing:

How would I approach it with said brasso? aside from carefully as it would appear it removes paint...

I'm just off to the shop to get some.......

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Reading this in 'alt.fan.landrover'? Did you know there's a group FAQ:

Phil... ;-)

Reply to
Mother

There should be a FAQ with all these useful ideas gathered together.

Reply to
Alan Walker

Mark,

It won't go below the original paintwork, it will remove the stuff on top of it (quite clever. It's due to the way it is abrassive, but not course. Very clever, and can also be used to remove overspray ;-)

Reply to
Neil Brownlee

Twas Tue, 13 Jul 2004 13:21:37 +0000 (UTC) when "Neil Brownlee" put finger to keyboard producing:

Job done, blue off, maroon still there, arm aches, wife smiling, I owe someone a pint... ;o)

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

;-)

Glad I could help! You at Billing?

Posh Ted is going to be there, and raising money *in style*

Reply to
Neil Brownlee

Twas Tue, 13 Jul 2004 15:13:03 +0000 (UTC) when "Neil Brownlee" put finger to keyboard producing:

no I can't get to billing :o(

I'm a fan of posh ted though

(scroll down) do I recall you are in devon somewhere?

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Aren't ost spray cans still cellulose paint, while factory paints are something else. So the right solvent should get it off.

Reply to
David G. Bell

Get some Farracla, G10 or similar fine grade. It's like T-Cut but it works much better.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Hehe,

For my sins, I am in Northampton, Tim (muddyweb) is in Dorset, and Darren (Datalas) is in Southampton....that covers the sponsors of Posh Ted who are not AFL ;-)

Reply to
The Neffalump

Twas Tue, 13 Jul 2004 22:45:10 +0000 (UTC) when "The Neffalump" put finger to keyboard producing:

I have a job soon in Dorset, place called Blandford Forum, otherwise I rarely get that far east.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Tim lives near there ;-)

Reply to
The Neffalump

In message , Neil Brownlee writes

Works very well on caravan acrylic windows as well.

Reply to
Graham Jones