Petrol & Diesel

esso is 1/2 pence per litre cheaper than tesco which is about a mile away. within 2miles of here there are a Q8 (very expensive), esso, sainsburys, shell and 2 bp's.

Reply to
Richard

Yes, me!

The tax / benefits mess in this county needs to be rationalised. So, lets ban (yes, outlaw) discounts for OAPs, students, disabled etc etc. Force companies to charge equally.

Let's also pay a decent pension, decent benefits to those who really need them, sod all to those who don't. Now they don't need the discounted bus fares and cheap cinema tickets.

Let's go round every Ministry and shut down the department that collects money from people. TV licencing, council tax, DVLA, god knows who else. Let the Inland Revenue collect all the money for all the departments - they are quite good at it. It's tax, so let's call it "tax". Suddenly you've got rid of a loads of pen-pushers and everyone gets a monthly statement from the revenue itemising charges for road tax, TV licence etc.

Let's stop having the Inland Revenue giving out benefits (or 'credits'). They are crap at it. Most of the benefits only exist because the basic pension etc is too low anyway.

Let's scrap road tax and fuel tax entirely and have a proper road tolling scheme based on fairness and environmental damage. Sod all in the country where the roads are rubbish, more on high-quality routes like motorways and more at busy times. The London Congestion Charge has shown that it can be done, and in many ways it works. The charging is too blunt and there are local problems round the edges.

Of course, the EU will object because it ain't harmonised, but we should take the French approach and tell them we're doing it anyway. We don't care if you fine us, because we won't pay the fines.

Oh, and if the Spanish want our fish they'll have to get past the RN first... They haven't had decent target practice since the Gulf War.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Point is if the cheaper petrol is a couple of miles away in a direction you would not be travelling anyway, what you use to get you there and back may well negate any saving, however most people do not think that way, look at all the fools on ebay for instance.

Reply to
Larry

[far too good to trim]

You've got my vote! When's the next election?

Reply to
PDannyD

Well you've got my vote for Prime minister Tim That's basically the way I would like it to happen and yes Richard lets have private health insurance instead of paying into something I've not used for about 10 years except for holiday jabs Perhaps then the service you get would be reasonable minimal waiting lists

Reply to
Andy.Smalley

They sell fools on ebay?

:0)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

They sell everything else....

Alex

Reply to
Alex

what i meant was the esso is a few hundred yards away but all the others are within 2 miles. the furthest is the bp which i use to fill up with lpg :-)

Reply to
Richard

so Austin Shackles was, like...

Classic sight today, on the way home from work. Group of council guys putting up a new road sign. One putting the sign up, FIVE watching him do it.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

NO, it WON't work, I work at a garage that sells petrol/derv as a service, we make .9p per litre and lose £120 on avg per week on fuel, but looking at th invoices, if we remove fuel duty and VAT, we can sell at 24p per litre, so the problem is NOT with the oil companies, it is with the 70 odd pence per litre that Mr Brown takes.

We'd GLADLY sell our fuel at 24p, but the Govt in the 70's broke every law and started taxing us on tax, and added VAT to Fuel Duty, so UR paying tax TWICE on petrol/Derv.. So DON'T penalise the fuel companies, who tell us they have had enough and are also lobbying parliament.

You are pay tax for the privaledge of paying tax on petrol, how does that sound...Not very nice... Talk to Mr Brown who is trying to fill the black hole in his budget by stealing 7.5 billion per year from the pension fund (Mr Maxwell please come back) and stealing double tax from us using fuel... The Govt made about £3000 today from out tiddly petrol station alone today, we made about £200 if we are lucky.

So who is to blame for fuel prices???????????????????

LOBBY PARLIAMENT NOT THE OIL COMPANIES

Reply to
4x4 Me

All this sounds very good but I remember the profits made by these poor hard done by oil giants. BP made somewhere about £10 billion last year and others a little less. It is these people who should do their bit too. All these taxes will continue until we all take on these people who exploit us just like the French do with their government. Robert

Reply to
Roberts

Tim Hobbs wrote in news:m65ei117ojf0jj9in0bqc3qmokbf34lr9u@

4ax.com:

I realise you were making some other points (and perhaps a bit tongue in cheek too) but it's worth noting that in principle fuel tax is not a bad way to account for environmental damage.

Jeremy

Reply to
Jeremy Mortimer

ISTR that VAT was levied on fuel right from day 1, some time back in the 1970's . I can remember my old man complaining long and loud that it was a tax on tax, much good it did him.

-- Pete

Reply to
Pete Young

On or around Wed, 14 Sep 2005 10:05:23 +0100, Pete Young enlightened us thusly:

still a load of bollox, though. and they wonder why there's inflation...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Wed, 14 Sep 2005 08:25:25 GMT, Jeremy Mortimer enlightened us thusly:

apart from being completely indiscriminate... and charging the chap who does useful work exactly the same as the bloke who uses the same amount of fuel cruising around town all evening with his foglights on and thumpy-thumpy stereo, and the same amount as those who use their car to go shopping 'cos there's no other credible way of doing it.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Wed, 14 Sep 2005 08:40:58 +0100, "Roberts" enlightened us thusly:

granted, BP et al make big profits - they also have a huge number of shareholders, and are responsible to them, so if they made no profit and paid no dividends and so forth, they'd not be popular.

Besides, I bet most of the profit is made on other stuff than UK pump fuel.

I worked out this morning in an idle moment that just to pay the person sitting behind the till for a week you've got to sell about 3000 litres of petrol or diesel...

OK, the oilco's take is more than the garage's. But in all seriousness, the government *do* get about 65ppl of the 99p I just paid for diesel, and for this they do next-to-sod-all. The oilco does at least source the crude, refine it and ship it to the garage for me to buy.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Austin Shackles wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Environmental damage is also indiscriminate - the worthy uses of fuel are as damaging as the less worthy uses. Usefully, the amount of fuel used is probably close to proportional to the damage caused.

And, of course, fuel taxation is not indiscriminate even now; farmers get a discount with red diesel, and airlines pay no fuel tax at all. Perhaps it would be better if it were indiscriminate.

I only bring this up in relation to accounting for environmental damage, though, and specifically as a counter to the proposal by the OP of road charges for the same purpose. Road charges don't account for damage caused by using petroleum fuels for domestic heating, air travel, off-road use (including farming work), driving a 4.2 litre Jag rather a Fiat Uno, etc.

Jeremy

Reply to
Jeremy Mortimer

Nah, I'd put money on it being one of the "e-mail tracking share the Microsoft/Gates/Disney/HP/Intel millions" type things !

Reply to
PeTe33

"Jeremy Mortimer" .

And of course home heating oil is discounted and scarcely policed for emissions at all.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

On or around Fri, 16 Sep 2005 12:18:56 +0100, "Huw" enlightened us thusly:

but has 5% vat on it. Why, I have no idea, unless it's simply to raise money from them as can ill afford it.

Reply to
Austin Shackles