Re: Bigger sockets for Defender?

> A local hardware store has 3/4" socket drives and individual sockets

>> on sale for half price. I was thinking of buying a 3/4" socket >> drive, and some sockets for the bits on a Defender that may require >> a more hefty tool to remove. The sockets are not available in >> metric. Are there any standard (non-metric) sizes that would be >> useful to buy for future maintenance work? Thanks. > > The only sockets I have used in my 3/4 drive set are 22,24 & 27mm :) > > HTH

Sorry, and 30mm all on suspension bolts to fit a set of poly bushes.

Reply to
Adrian England

My set only goes up to 46mm ;)

Reply to
Adrian England

Thanks for the advice on common sizes used. I will pick up one of the

3/4 socket drives and buy individual sockets later. WHat about the crankshaft pulley (for timing belt replacement) - what size of socket does that require?
Reply to
Robert St-Louis

On 21 Aug 2003 06:46:44 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@ec.gc.ca (Robert St-Louis) spilled forth with the follow words of wisdom:

On my 2.5 N/A diesel it is 41mm, and done up very tight, and thread locked as well....f'king thing managed to get it off with my air-gun though:-)

-- Dan

Reply to
Dan Allen

"spilled forth with words of wisdom"... that's funny! Thanks for the 41mm size. I'll need to work that nut loose when I tackle the timing belt replacement in a few weeks. I don't have an air gun, so hopefully the big 3/4 drive with pipe extension will do the trick. Or else, the old "take it off using the starter" trick... I've got a 2.5 N/A on mine too (there's probably only a handful of used 110's on the market in Canada, so I couldn't be choosy about the engine mine came with. Bit low in power, but it runs well and has only 70,000 kms on it, so should last me a while. Simple and reliable, I like that too.

Reply to
Robert St-Louis