Re: Stuck again..

Bloody nightmare, the Defender is still somewhere out in the woods,

> but I have a mate who is going to try and pull me out with his Land > Cruiser at 2.00 today. Fingers crossed....

Oh well, never mind eh. I'm sure you'll find a Defender to pull you both out :)

Is your Brano winch like a Tirfor?

Good luck with the recovery - keep us posted!

David.

Reply to
David French

Have you got a hi-lift jack? I wouldn't leave tarmac without one.

Reply to
Exit

Unfortunately this is the second time I've had to call on the Land Cruiser (oh the shame of it!!)

Its neither a Brano nor Tirfor, but the same type of thing.

I'll let you know *if* we manage to get it out. Nightmare Guy

Reply to
Guy Lux

No unfortunately not. I was sure a winch was going to make me invincible. Answer : Hi-lift for Xmas!

Reply to
Guy Lux

It's out!!!! Half hour of pulling/yanking using the Land Cruiser it eventually came out at 6.00 today. Landcruiser is getting new tires tomorrow which didn't help. We found the best way was not the straight pull, but to pull at an angle of about 15 degrees (of course angling the front wheels in direction of pull) I had never read that in any of the recovery stuff I found on internet. The Land Cruiser's american style recovery hook stood up to the yank test against my two MOD jate rings.

Now I just need to source another shear pin for the winch, and complete my off-road armoury with the hi-lift as Julian suggested!

Guy

Reply to
Guy Lux

And perhaps a mobile phone charger...

Glad you are out of the gloop. I bet you go back in again though.

:-)

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Hi lift jack got Bruce out of the mud - eventually, when he got stuck with the Disco.

Reply to
Nikki

Yep, good idea, as it also drives the wife nuts when she can't get through. I need to sort our my cigarette lighter socket before I can get the in-car charger....

Guaranteed. I'll be back in next weekend (if I can get the sheer pin in time) There's a big muddy pool near where I was stuck to try out next!!!

Regards

Guy

Reply to
Guy Lux

I think it will make a big difference, as the winch was really making the deeply-sunk rear wheel plough the mud. The hi-lift means you can either shove loads of stuff under the wheels or do that dangerous recovery technique of jacking up high at the back/front and then pushing the car sideways out of the rut/hole.

Any suggestions of the size of hi-life I should go for? I think people go for a slightly smaller size only because the biggest is a nightmare to store in the back.

Guy

Reply to
Guy Lux

Yep! With a few shackles, ropes and chains (plus some big muscles!) you will now be truly invincible Landroverman!

Reply to
Exit

On or around Mon, 01 Dec 2003 10:55:06 GMT, "Exit" enlightened us thusly:

Oi! leave me out of it.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I finally had a look at a website that my brother told me about. its

have a mobile phone charger on there that you wind up. The cigarettelighter doesn't work on the Discovery either so I've ordered one for Brucefor Christmas for one of the kids to give him.

Reply to
Nikki

Hi Guy

If it was a shear pin that went, it suggests you were asking it to do a bit too much.

Secondly, when you source the new one, get a couple of spares and keep in the vehicle!

Cheers! Graham Carter Harare Zimbabwe

Reply to
Graham Carter

Good thinking, I'll get a couple of them.

Guy

Reply to
Guy Lux

Well, I have the shackles etc, but can't be arsed to go to the gym for the mandatory physique, therefore no Super-hero status. Plus, to be honest, whatever equipment I get, I know I will just keep getting myself into deeper trouble, until I'm stuck again..

Guy

Reply to
Guy Lux

On or around Mon, 1 Dec 2003 22:30:21 +0100, "Guy Lux" enlightened us thusly:

used to buy shear bolts for the baler by the dozen :-)

Reply to
Austin Shackles

And don't forget that the 'proper' winch needs to be mounted on the BACK of the vehicle to pull you out rather than deeper in !

Ansrew Mawson

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

That's why I've always thought a demountable has to be the way forward. (or backward as the case may be)

Reply to
David French

On or around Wed, 3 Dec 2003 16:57:54 +0000 (UTC), "Andrew Mawson" enlightened us thusly:

nono, you need one *both* ends. The back one to pull you out when you've just driven into what turns out to be a 4' deep mudhole, but have stopped on the inslope. The front one for when you've charged at the 4' deep mudhole and got 3/4 of the way through.

ISTR the 101 has a single winch in the middle and means of moving the cable to front, back, sides etc.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Austin Shackles posted ...

Sides eh ... now that's when you're _really_ stuck .. ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx