Removing RRC/Discovery wheels

Now don't shoot me down in flames, but how do you remove 5 spoke alloy wheels?? There appears to be some sort of plastic cover over the nuts which flatly refuse to come off, even though they feel a bit loose. They're the 5 spokers from a Discovery, same as these >

, the spareis a standard 3 spoke. Of course, it's immaterial at the minute seeing as I don't have the right size socket and the wheel nut remover is missing from the boot (glad I've never had a puncture in the past 2 years!)

-- Thanks, Paul

1992 RR Vogue SE
Reply to
Pacman

Pacman a écrit :

I have to say that many years ago with my first Disco, that exact same thing had me stumped! You just put the wheel brace over the covers. They don't come off - I do remember trying for about an hour to get them off!!

Matt

Reply to
Matthew Maddock

Required socket size will be 27mm (1-1/16"). Try to use a single hex. version rather than a bi-hex. if you can.

You may have some locking nuts in which case the cover may come off (or just distort horribly) revealing the locking nut underneath. Then start looking for the removal tool.

Reply to
Dougal

Yep.

You have to take it off to get at the locking nut underneath. These covers have a 1/2" dia dimple in the end. There is a plastic round pronged thing that you slip over the removable covers and pull, they come off easy.

*DO NOT* put the plastic round pronged thing over a non-removable cap as you can't (easyly) get it off again. BTDTGTTS. There is a slot in the cap removal tool that will allow the cap removal tool to fit over the wheel brace. If in doubt fit the wheel brace then slip the cap removal tool over the top. If you have got a non-removable cap, you can then undo the wheel nut and get everything apart that way.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

On or around Thu, 12 Apr 2007 20:40:10 +0100, Dougal enlightened us thusly:

Draper sell a thing called a "diesel injector socket" which is available in

27mm a/f and might have been made to be a rover wheelbrace - it's deep and relatively thin walled single hex and fits perfectly.
Reply to
Austin Shackles

Thanks for all the advice, will give it another go over the weekend once I've got a socket.

-- Thanks, Paul

Reply to
Pacman

Hi Paul, yes definitely "Freestyles". The nuts do have fixed covers apart from the locking nut which has removable cover usually with the dimple on the top. If your socket (when you get it) is too tight to go over the nut then it will have rusted inside. Its not a problem but surface rust on the actual nut bulges the thin tinny cover making it difficult to remove. All you can do is persevere or get some new ones.

Once you have got the nuts off you might find it difficult to get the wheel off the hub. Disco II is worse but if they have not been off for a while the Disco I wheels will sieze to the hub. You will need a leather "knocking stick" to encourage them to let go by hitting the inside of the rim. Don't use a hammer because it will damage the rim. Rubber mallets will just bounce.

Basko.

Reply to
b.baskerville

or failing that slacken off the nuts and drive a couple of yards. Derek

Reply to
Derek