Series 3 Differentials

My standard differential gearing is 4.7:1. I understand that I can fit

3.5:1 units (? from early Range Rovers).

Please can anyone tell me how to distinguish between these two units when they are laid on an autojumble stand?

Thanks

Mike

Reply to
Mike M

The only sure way is count the teeth!

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Couldn't you hold one hub still, turn the other and see how much the input rotates? There might be a fiddle factor of two to apply to the ratio either multiplication or division (is supect the former more than the latter) to work out the actual ratio.

(Makes mental note to find some model diffs to play with...)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I've got one for sale, it was in my SIII when I bought it. We whipped it out pretty sharpish and put a proper one in it's place. If you find out exactly how many teeth you want I can double check it. It's in North Essex. David

Reply to
DavidM

One of the old landy mags that i have lying around at home and was flicking through yesterday has a guide to working out what diff is fitted in an axle by turning the wheels and watching how far the prop turns. I'll copy it out if i can find it again. It was an interesting read.

Reply to
Tom Woods

Come on people - read the whole story.

The OP stated that the 'diff.' would be lying on a table not stuck hidden inside the casing, so all this about holding one part and turning the other is not only irrelevant but actually very difficult!

Just count the number of turns required at the input yoke to turn the bevel gear once and there's your answer.

Alternatively, as the man said, count the teeth. Counting the teeth in an assembled 'diff.' is not that easy

If you must, count the number of teeth on the bevel gear and divide by the number of teeth on the pinion to get either 4.7 or 3.54 - assuming that it is a standard Landy 'diff.' that you are viewing.

Reply to
Dougal

IMHO the OPs orginal comment is open to interpretation and he now has two, no sorry three, versions to work on depending on what he finds on the autojumble table...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

The Range Rover diff has 13 teeth on the pinion as against 10 on the Landrover ones and it's quite obvious without counting and you can see it quite easily if you look inside a diff unit on an autojumble table. Also Range Rover has 46 teeth on the crown wheel as against 47 on the Landrover. All the old interchangeable Rover car diffs have 10 on the pinion as 10/43,

10/39 etc.

HTH Martin

Reply to
Oily