Series III Leaf sprung Coiler

Well this is most odd.....

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Previous owner used to run a (magic) roundabout? spring assisted probably a builder who carried 3 tonnes of paving stones in the back Derek

Reply to
Derek

I seem to remember these as an optional extra - not sure whether they were a factory option or after market. JD

Reply to
JD

Never seen one like that before. I have helper springs on my Series 11A, they do nothing till the weight on the back is in excess of around 400 kgs. it does look like a military, with no rear PTO hole in the rear chassis x-member.

I can only hope the white stuff all over the place is jenolite or similar phosphoric acid rust killer that has gotten wet before drying out.

Reply to
Duracell Bunny

"Derek" wrote

You got it in one there :-)

It's amazing the cockups some people do, they look like they are off a car. I've seen plenty with the rubber helpers though, I think they were called 'Autoballons' and they are also fitted on my Sankey trailer, probably the only approved ones.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

The rubber helpers are/were RTC8000 for a complete kit. Still available about 2 years ago.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

The rear crossmember is military. Who knows who added the coil - but almost certainly it will not have been Land Rover even on a military contract.

Reply to
Dougal

If my guess as to the origin of the springs was on the money then the white stuff is going to be concrete Derek

Kirk: My friend is obviously Chinese. I see you've noticed the ears. They're ... actually quite easy to explain. Spock: Perhaps the unfortunate accident I had as a child... Kirk: The unfortunate accident he had as a child, he caught his head in a mechanical ... rice picker

Reply to
Derek