silly problem, but curious

When I bought my d2 it was missing the landrover centre cap on the right rear wheel. As it happened, I replaced the 4 alloys when I bought some off road tyres, and bought a new centre cap, which lasted a few weeks or months then disappeared. Coincidence? maybe, same side, rear right, but different alloy. Bought a new one 3 weeks ago, and last night I noticed it was gone again. Is it possible that the wheelbearing is running hot, heating up the air behind the cap and pushing it out? Any other suggestions?

Reply to
madhatchetman

madhatchetman wrote: Any other suggestions?

Thievin' bastards ?

Reply to
Steve Taylor

They don't fit that well!

Tolerances between wheels and caps seem to be a little on the variable side. So some cap/wheel combinations are very tight others very loose. The

18" alloys I have had caps that rattled, same caps in the 16" wheels are nice and tight, I lost two caps from the 18" wheels.

What gets me is the frigging price of a bit of moulded plastic...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Aye - though thieving kids tend to favour things like valve covers that will also fit on bikes.

There isnt a bump at the end of your drive/road that you drive over everyday that gets one corner worse than the others?

Reply to
Tom Woods

Considered theft, Can't think of anything specific that I do that might affect that corner more than the others. As to fit, it seemed to fit pretty tightly on the 16" alloys. Needless to say, by the third one I was pretty careful to set it in properly.

As dave points out, the theft is in the price of replacements. I think it was =A36 a pop, which is not a lot in the scheme of things, but realistically should be 30p.

Reply to
madhatchetman

On or around Wed, 03 Oct 2007 12:32:33 -0700, madhatchetman enlightened us thusly:

move the wheels around, see if the cap goes missing from the new location.

Reply to
Austin Shackles