Slightly OT: Pinzgauer Sales Video

.. and the diff locks, all can be added to a 101, I tried searching for a 101 that had portals fitted but none to be found. Come on chaps! That would be a beast for sure.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Whats the axle rating Ian?

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

Axle rating of what? I don't know what a pinz axle rating is but it can weigh a total of four tonnes with full load spread out over three axles (more of the load carried by the rear two), 4x4 version can weigh up to 3 tonnes with load. If you mean 101, I don't know. Volvo C303 is similar spec to 101 so the portals should be fine, IIRC max axle load is about 1600-1700 kg.

Not sure about shaft speeds and directions though, the C303 drive flanges apparently match those of a Defender, but whether Defender/101 prop shaft rotation would drive the wheels in the right direction I don't know, the portals reverse the direction of the wheel rotation with respect to the half-shafts. Flipping the diffs would sort that out, but I've not heard of that being needed when fitting to a Defender.

Also as the portals reduce the turning speed of the wheels, you need to spin the shafts faster to get the same speed. There are different gear ratio portal boxes available on the 303, I don't have the ratios to hand.

C303 axles particularly have been fitted to just about every 4x4 on the market at some point, even landcruisers, apparently their ratios are more suitable for highway driving than mog axles. They haven't been fitted to 101s yet that I can see!

Reply to
Ian Rawlings