Soundproofing 2.5 Diesel 110

Pulling how many trailers? you work 'em hard don't you?

Martin

Reply to
Oily

The Australians work them hard, we just put hills in their way. It was just a single truck and trailer in the same configuration as the one in the link below, running at 42 tons gross weight (cf 44 ton maximum allowed on the road). Unfortunately I haven't got a picture of the actual truck which was a Freightliner FLB with lots of polished aluminium and about 80 marker lights (like a christmas tree at night).

EMB

On Sun, 25 Feb 2007 11:51:01 -0600, Stuart Gray wrote (in article ):

A co-worker swears by this stuff.

installed it on his modified Corvette. He said before he did it you had to yell to talk. I rode in it today and it is nice and quiet. He is also looking into a paint.
He has applied it to one rear fender well and he said he can tell the difference. Let us know how your search works out. My 96 Discovery is a little loud.

Hud

Reply to
Disco Duck

I forgot you were on the smaller bit with more hills, nice rig though, I never knew Mitsubishi made an eight wheeler. What's the U.W?

Martin

Reply to
Oily

Mitsi (and most of the other manufacturers) have done 8 wheelers for the last 20 years. Assuming you mean Unladen Weight (what's known as tare weight here) the UW of the Freightliner I was in was 10120kg full of fuel and with a driver when I ran it over the scales on Saturday morn. The trailer was around 7000kg. A Mitsi would probably be about the same if fitted with alloy wheels.

Reply to
EMB

Nice one, thanks for the info :-)

Martin

Reply to
Oily

The predominance of 8 wheelers here is due to our ridiculously low maximum axle weights (because of our relatively badly made roads). To get to the 44 ton maximum weight you need a minimum of 8 axles (gulp!)

Most of my truck driving in the past has been in one of these

several years as a career firefighter.

Reply to
EMB

On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 20:19:03 -0600, Disco Duck wrote (in article ):

another site

Disco Duck

There were 22 in the class and there are 6 preserved, the most (as a precentage) preserved of any mainline diesel.

A truly super locomotive.

Cheers

Peter

Reply to
puffernutter

As a youth, just as they were being phased out in favour of the HST, I was lucky enough to be given the chance to drive one (55012 Crepello) at Edinburgh Waverly - all the way from platform 20-something to platform 1 - a journey which lasted all of 15 minutes return (Out to the East of the station then back in again after a short wait at signals). it might only have been 8 minutes or so driving, but it's a memory that'll last a lifetime! Badger.

Reply to
Badger

Hi Group,

Nice to know that all the Deltics have not been scrapped. Can Puffer Nutter tell me where I can hear one running. The MOD were interested in the Deltic for a main battle tank engine but decided on the ex Sultzer opposed piston engine. They too would put kids to sleep but they would not wake again due to the smoke from the exhaust. It used to clear the workshop when one was started up Robbie >

Reply to
Roberts

On or around Wed, 28 Feb 2007 11:17:12 +1300, EMB enlightened us thusly:

UK artics can go to 44T on 6 but not on 5. The thing I have complaints about are supersingle tyres on trailers, concentrate all the load at the outer edges of the lanes and on narrow roads that means at the edge of the road. apart from the fact that the widest supersingles are still only about

14" wide, which, compared with 2 "normal" 11" wide tyres is a lot less.
Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Wed, 28 Feb 2007 17:09:15 -0000, "Badger" enlightened us thusly:

bastard.

I did once get to ride in the cab of a London tube train...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

39T on 6 here. But in defence of supersingles there is the fact they scrub a lot less when turning and consequently don't rip the surface off the road as badly.
Reply to
EMB

On or around Wed, 28 Feb 2007 21:16:17 -0000, "Roberts" enlightened us thusly:

some of the Deltics do excursion trains in the summer. Must track one down sometime.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Thu, 01 Mar 2007 12:13:02 +1300, EMB enlightened us thusly:

I dunno about less scrub... fewer tyres, but more weight on each. The relevant angles are the same. tri-axle trailers sometimes have self-steering on the rearmost, but it's the exception rather than the rule.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Hehe, I was VERY lucky, just happened to be in the right place at the right time, in the days when these things happened without fear of terrorism or muggings etc etc. I think I was about 15 at the time and totally daft on trains - preferably steam, but the Deltic held a unique fascination for me, no doubt due to its unique sound! Only thing I want to drive on rails now is a BR Standard class 4MT tank, there's one in Scotland at Bo'ness but they're not up for using it as one of their "footplate experience" engines more's the pity. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

On or around Thu, 1 Mar 2007 22:24:39 -0000, "Badger" enlightened us thusly:

I've had a go at firing on NG engines on the teifi valley, but problem is you need a whole day and I can't spare that now.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I know the feeling - I had what is likely to be my last day for some time firing 'Diana'* a few weeks ago. Work and family commitments now mean that I can't even find time for the odd afternoon offroad let alone regular days committed to trains.

*
EMB

On or around Sat, 03 Mar 2007 14:07:00 +1300, EMB enlightened us thusly:

a bit bigger than this one:

and they also have a smaller one which appears not to be in the pictures. Not sure what's with the WD paint scheme, he was black when I was there.

more here:

I've fired on "Alan George", who appears to be in the shed for a rebuild, and also had a cab at the time, unlike the earlier photos.

Reply to
Austin Shackles