SWB Chassis

Hi All

Can anyone advise on saving some pennies when trying to acquire a galvanised chassis, new or second handfor a s3 swb diesel.

Any help appreciated

Regards

Paul

Reply to
Paul Tasker

I'm not aware of any difference between the petrol and diesel chassis, since the engines are so similar.

Second-hand galvanised could be tricky, but ex-MoD chassis have been around. I suspect getting one of those galvanised, with all the preparation needed, would soon soak up any saving.

Reply to
David G. Bell

Ask yourself why anyone would be selling a second hand Galv chassis..... From time to time they do crop up on ebay where they've been brought by someone and never used. A second hand chassis must (by law) retain the V5 that it was used with, unless it is only for off road use. If you're looking for a good Galv chassis, try Richards Chassis. Jon

Reply to
Jon

And bear in mind, buying a thin chassis to save money may be false economy in the long term.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Thin compaired to what? It's the on-going maintenance that dictates the long term nature of the chassis. Fit-and-forget and it will rot. Remember - never invest in anything that eats or needs painting...... Jon

Reply to
Jon

I may be confused here, but surely the critical point is whether the chassis has been used rather than whether is has been bought from whoever originally made it?

Reply to
David G. Bell

Correct - Hence the "retain the V5 that it was used with" bit. If there wasn't one, then it's classed as new. Jon

Reply to
Jon

On or around Thu, 22 Apr 2004 11:56:57 +0100, "Jon" enlightened us thusly:

hehe. that's the point of having it galved.

mind, ISTR series chassis were 14 gauge, i.e. about 2mm, I dunno about RRs or 90/110.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Thu, 22 Apr 2004 13:12:03 +0100, "Jon" enlightened us thusly:

So if it's been bought but not used, then it's still not got an allocated VIN, an therefore you can buy it and use it to replace a buggered chassis.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Thin as opposed to thick... i.e. like the options for 2mm, 3mm or 4mm rails dependant on your choice.

Of course even having it Galved doesn't mean it will last forever and kind of limits / frustrates fitment of odd engines and gearboxes.

Lee D

-- ________________________________

Just a little hobby site about Landies :-) ________________________________

Reply to
Lee_D

Only the front springs are different, not the chassis itself.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

i think its all to do about nothing.

my 2a made in 1970, has just given up its rear chassis to the rust worm,

34 years, ungalved, isnt bad really , is it ?

i could buy a second hand chassis, in GOOD condition, do a bit of prep work, ie,,, rustproofing the inards. painting the rails with top notch stuff, and hey presto another 34 years motoring.

i wont even have the vehicle say in 10-15 years or maybe less. so what difference does it make.

Andy ( ok, im ready......flame away)

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Reply to
Andy