The next unofficial... Keswick anyone?

On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 13:56:24 +0000 (UTC), beamendsltd scribbled the following nonsense:

Let's start with typewriters."

There is also the Hurt Arms at Ambergate which GLASS use a lot. Not sure of any sites near by though?

Reply to
Simon Isaacs

During stardate Sun, 23 Oct 2005 13:56:24 +0000 (UTC), beamendsltd uttered the imortal words:

Sometimes you can't see the wood for the trees! Biggin is right under our noses and whats more It's slap bang in the middle of the UK. This sounds like a plan with potential. Been to Biggin once. It may just work :0)

Do you know the name of the Camp site / Pub? Could it be the Waterloo?

And are you free 18th to 23rd April for guide purposes :0) Probably be best to do some pay and play on the Saturday/Sunday for those who can only make a weekend of it. Lanes could be any day really. Smaller convoys the better to prevent any lane damage.

Have you got any contacts re the quarry? Would be nice and simple if there is already a pay and play on for that day.

Lee D

-- "I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters."

- Frank Lloyd Wright (1868-1959)

'76 101 Camper '64 88" IIa V8 Auto '97 Disco ES Auto LPG'd '01 Laguna

Reply to
Lee_D

...and Lee_D spake unto the tribes of Usenet, saying...

IRTA " nearer to me than Mynachlog-ddu". (With the right pronunciation, that rhymes.)

Unselfishly, a central location is much better for the majority than a place that's 8 hours' drive for 15 people and 30 minutes for three.

I'm up for it. And April is in a fresh holiday year for my place of work - I've torched all but a couple of days of this year's allocation already.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Thanks - can't say I will be giving 'technical' advice, I will leave that to the boss ;-)

That is par for the course

Just get yourself on that grapefruit diet before the next big meetup, it will save money twice - food and the tailor :-)

Reply to
Diane Brookman

Let's start with typewriters."

its the back yard of Buxton and District LRC who do events at Biggin

(down loadable map onpage) worth dropping them a mail? there are plenty of campsites alongAshbourne road and not a few pubs ( Jug and Glass has reopened ) and don'tforget the famous cheese factory shop at Hartington where they make the verybest Stilton you can buy if thats the venue we will be there landy or no!Derek

Reply to
Derek

During stardate Sun, 23 Oct 2005 18:00:27 +0100, "Richard Brookman" uttered the imortal words:

No, it's under our noses and I overlooked it. As in mine and Richards. However now that you mention it yes it is closer. If I wanted to be selfish I would suggest Weston Coyney,Iron Bridge, Cannock Chase or Mow Cop which are even simpler to get to from here and equally in the middle of the country depending of how far out in space you look at it.

Of course all this is academic really because I shall not be off roading anyway and would much prefer to Watch someone who's just taken the piss "Wassup too shinny?" get stuck on a hump which would have wiped out my LPG tanks ;0)

Still open to suggestions.

Personally I'd rather do down to Devon and Cornwall as it's likely to be 2 degrees warmer but don't know anywhere that way. I do know Keswick though hence the origional suggestion (4 Hours up North for me with the Caravan).

Lee D

-- "I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters."

- Frank Lloyd Wright (1868-1959)

'76 101 Camper '64 88" IIa V8 Auto '97 Disco ES Auto LPG'd '01 Laguna

Reply to
Lee_D

During stardate Sun, 23 Oct 2005 18:11:50 GMT, "Derek" uttered the imortal words:

And I've just spied in the piccy on that page, caravans with Awnings which means a possibility of camping on site..... :0)

Lee D

-- "I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters."

- Frank Lloyd Wright (1868-1959)

'76 101 Camper '64 88" IIa V8 Auto '97 Disco ES Auto LPG'd '01 Laguna

Reply to
Lee_D

...and Lee_D spake unto the tribes of Usenet, saying...

I only mentioned it because I heard you say that you would not want to travel that far for just a weekend again.. No offence meant.

Fnarr. I wasn't taking the piss, honest! Your Disco looked in *incredibly* good condition, and I didn't think you were going to do anything serious in it. However, a quick bimble down the lane to save your family from all that trekking through the mud would have been kind, I would have thought :-)

As for humps - well, Steve managed it and made it look easy. There's a "red rag/bull" macro stored in my operating system which pops out like a virus once in a while. Anyway, it's made me put a lift kit on my list for Santa this year.

About 8-9 for me, but I'd be up for it. I love the Lakes, but haven't been there for years. Last time included Jack's Rake

in thick fog (thank goodness - no head for heights) and a drive in the 90 over Hardknott Pass with Di hiding under the dashboard (she's worse than me). I'd love to have the opportunity to revisit.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Well worth chatting to the badlrc lot. Never been to any of their 'do's, but have met a number of their members and they always strike me a a thoroughly smashing and friendly bunch.

Selfishly, of course, it's my back garden ;-)

Reply to
Mother

In news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net, Richard Brookman blithered:

I'd invite you to the Essex interculb trial Easter weekend @ but Essex being flat it might be a non event for the likes of yous. I mean we have go to Wales for a decent greenlane. The trial is gaining a decent reputation. Come along and show us how to do it!

Reply to
GbH

Devon is easy, have friends down there who own a farm by Barnstaple. Been to a k-quads type place not far from there. Would be easy ish for me to set up.

Reply to
Graham G

Doubt we'd be able to make it :o(

Half term is Emma's busy period, and April is mine.

Reply to
Graham G

During stardate Sun, 23 Oct 2005 21:06:57 +0100, "Richard Brookman" uttered the imortal words:

Your theory is of course true.

What do you think to these?

I've been meaning to get one for a while but I got the GPS instead.

Of course I won't need one next time I go there because I will have been before. Unlike the GPS which comes in handy even when relying on local knowledge.

;0)

Lee D

-- "I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters."

- Frank Lloyd Wright (1868-1959)

'76 101 Camper '64 88" IIa V8 Auto '97 Disco ES Auto LPG'd '01 Laguna

Reply to
Lee_D

During stardate Sun, 23 Oct 2005 22:17:34 +0100, "Graham G" uttered the imortal words:

Graham

See what you can do and we can put all suggestions on the table then.

I'm all for keeping it simple, less cance of catastrophic failures then.

Lee D

-- "I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters."

- Frank Lloyd Wright (1868-1959)

'76 101 Camper '64 88" IIa V8 Auto '97 Disco ES Auto LPG'd '01 Laguna

Reply to
Lee_D

Leave it with me, won't be a quick answer though, they move a bit slower in devon ;o)

Reply to
Graham G

During stardate Mon, 24 Oct 2005 08:21:57 +0100, "Graham G" uttered the imortal words:

Yes carry on with that lead.

I've got a potential hit for Cannock chase. The chase in normally locked down by the National Trust however they do allow measured off road access to balance things out. I've been here before and had a real long day of off roading in some of the best scenary the country has to offer.

The chap I'm liaising with seems to think that camping can also be arranged within the Chase. I would also imagine a Brazier would be a no no but thats a small price to pay for the location.

The organisers like large numbers for multiple convoys across literally hundreds of tracks many of which have been designated 101 ambulance freindly. We could make this another attempt at a joint

101fc & AFL unofficial. The chase is soooo big that each convoy has a leader.. If it didn't you would be lost in their for days.

I'm waiting on costs. I doubt it will be cheap but when I went you got a full day offroading plus tuition in the basic techniques beforehand and as many passengers as your car could seat for £60.00. As Si K will testify the more of us that go the cheaper it gets.

It's another option. It's central with easy access from M6 & M1 being just north of Birmingham.

My piccys are here.. we are in the Blue Rangie H98 NFA

Lee D

-- "I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters."

- Frank Lloyd Wright (1868-1959)

'76 101 Camper '64 88" IIa V8 Auto '97 Disco ES Auto LPG'd '01 Laguna

Reply to
Lee_D

On or around Sun, 23 Oct 2005 22:25:27 +0100, "Graham G" enlightened us thusly:

snot half term.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

The name for that one is Jim Samson at Overlander Training - he has (had?) access to the special activities area there and is a great bloke to boot.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

Might have a lead for Eastnor castle too. That one will be slow though. might be do-able for next october.

If anyone is interested in doing it in the cotswolds or in the Stratford upon Avon area, that would be reasonably simple to arrange.

I'll stick with the devon one for the time being unless I get told different.

Graham

Reply to
Graham G

Yours or ours? Welsh half terms are generally at different times to the ones in England. In fact they vary alot across england. Emma's business is Worscestershire and mine Warwickshire, generally speaking the two rarely seem to coincide.

Graham

Reply to
Graham G