Things that never make the news...

During stardate Wed, 12 Oct 2005 18:39:50 +0100, mark uttered the imortal words:

Indeed.

-- Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiam. Winston Churchill

'76 101 Camper '64 88" IIa V8 Auto '97 Disco ES Auto LPG'd '01 Laguna

Reply to
Lee_D

Go for it...

Yep, but the paperwork dealing with gunslips has been reduced, and those visits to check cabinets...

The _really_ silly thing is that this - or any other for that matter 'Government' have never really read what laws we already have - and don't listen to those who know the law - like the Law Lords - who, incidentally DO NOT LIKE much of the current knee-jerk media inspired legislation that's being badly written, without adequate consultation and then rushed through with disregard for the inevitable, and costly consequences in the future.

Not quite, well, not yet - but pretty inevitable (used to call this 'internment' ISTR).

Yes you do, or you should do if you watched or otherwise followed the antics at the Labour Party Conference a couple of weeks ago.

None

Tough luck, it's all for the public good, to protect, erm, your rights to freedom, erm...

Nope

Nope (well, to qualify, you may do 30 years down the line when it's "PC" to start such claims and a different administration is in)

Tough luck, it's all for the public good, to protect, erm, your rights to freedom, erm...

Nope

:-)

You reckon?

Why? This hasn't happened before - bad law is simply that, 'bad law'.

If you don't like it, do something about it.

You have NO IDEA what other stuff has actually been passed, covertly written into the subtexts of other bad laws.

I (slightly vested interest declared) have a LOT of sympathy with those empowered to enforce such bad laws.

Shame, I was just getting into it - too... :-)

You live in a society that will mend you when you break, or become worn, a society that will educate your children, empty your dustbin and give you some money if you cannot earn a living. A society that will protect you from fire, thieves and thugs, ensure you have a roof over your head and clean water to drink and will give you more dosh when you're too old to work.

The same society grants you the freedom to say what you like, when you like and does not, currently, kill you if "they" don't like you.

All costs and gains analysis go from good to not so good - I'd be the first to go back to the Netherlands if I thought it were any better, but it aint, and in all honesty, nowhere is paradise. Maslow[1] was right, Milgam[2] was also right.

[1] Google: "MASLOW'S HIERARCHY OF NEEDS" [2] Google: "STANLEY MILGRAM" and add "obedience to authority" if you really want to know if we have true freedom of choice...
Reply to
Mother

This would never get to Court - unless there were 'other' factors.

Reply to
Mother

In article , mark writes

Quite.

Surely if I have genuinely forgotten, say, that my pocket knife is there, it's not by definition an offensive weapon. If I remember it and use it offensively, that's very different.

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

During stardate Wed, 12 Oct 2005 20:12:16 GMT, SpamTrapSeeSig uttered the imortal words:

No you don't have to use it offensively. If you did then more appropriate charges would be Affray & Possesion of an offensive weapon.

I.e. it's the item in this case that is offensive and not the action for the possesion offence. Owness is on the defendant to prove that "on the balance of probabilites" the possesion was reasonable. Whilst this may sound harsh it's not quite as harsh as having to "prove beyond all reasonable doubt" that the possesion was reasonable.

More a case of Guilty until maybe innocent rather than Guilty until definately innocent.

Yes the law is an Ass.

Lee D

-- Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiam. Winston Churchill

'76 101 Camper '64 88" IIa V8 Auto '97 Disco ES Auto LPG'd '01 Laguna

Reply to
Lee_D

Eventually. Possibly

a society that will educate your children, Badly, whilst trying to convince them that they are the best ever.

That's all. Years ago they picked it up. Now we have to traipse it to the roadside, the right way round and not too full, or they will leave it there.

Much less than any other European country.

Granted.

Err. Well sometimes, possibly, but is utterly incapable of reining in anti-social behaviour.

...and compulsorily purchase the same roof if they feel like it, just to improve the area.

How much ? Then they tax the bollocks off you AGAIN with rates - 30% of your income if you are on the state pension.

Reply to
Steve

On or around Wed, 12 Oct 2005 20:49:34 +0100, Mother enlightened us thusly:

come off it... perhaps I should, but to be honest, I'd better things to do.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Wed, 12 Oct 2005 20:49:34 +0100, Mother enlightened us thusly:

what, like voting for someone else? done that, in this area we have rather a good Plaid MP, but it makes no sodding difference.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Austin Shackles wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Escapism is all very well, but if you're thinking of doing this you'd really better do some research before packing. WRT Fiji, you could start with the 2000 coup d'etat. What looks like a tropical paradise from a distance may be a little more like a banana republic from closer.

Living abroad (I live in Switzerland) does give a certain level of detachment though, as long as you're not in the state's sights. If you are, it's a very different matter.

Jeremy

Reply to
Jeremy Mortimer

Of course it doesn't. That's why democracy is so popular with politicians - they can kiss a few babies and bung a few quid in the right direction and win "a mandate from the electorate", which probably amounts to about 1 in 5 people actually voting for them.

Local democracy is even better - it provides (very) gainful employment for a large number of people who would be otherwise unemployable. Or 'councillors' as they are otherwise known.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

On or around Wed, 12 Oct 2005 20:49:34 +0100, Mother enlightened us thusly:

up to a point, Lord Copper.

increasingly, the state pension is worth sod-all, and to have any decent sort of life if/when you retire you have to make private provision as well. That's fine if you can afford to, but starting from where I am, almost 40, the amount I'd have to put into such would be prohibitive. So I guess I'll carry on working 'til I drop, or something.

Healthcare... hmmm. It's just about to cost Father (who worked and paid NI most of his life) 500 quid for a new set of false teeth. This is done privately, because (partly) in this area there's almost zero chance of getting NHS dental treatment, mainly 'cos there aren't enough NHS dentists. Even if he could get 'em from the NHS, he'd still have to pay (considerably less, granted) and he'd have to wait longer.

The people of my Parents' generation have, basically, been well and truly screwed. *I* know that I can't rely on a state pension worth a light, if I fail to make other provision then that's partly at least my fault. They were told, when they started work in the 50s, that the state would look after 'em. Private pensions were a rare thing which only the rich indulged in - you paid yer money (in NI contributions) every week and the state would look after you. By the time it became apparent that this wasn't going to work, it was too late for them to do anything much about it.

So yeah, this country isn't as bad as some (many) places. But then again, a lot of the putative benefits ain't a lot of use to me.

I gather we now, in Europe, have reciprocal pension thingies and so forth which means that if you go an live in another EU country, you can still get yer pension paid anyway (this may be a misconception on my part). If so, well, I gather that Portugal still has reasonably priced property, provided you stay away from the tourist trap areas, and there's a reasonable attitude to offroaders and Landies... [seriously, I know several people who've relocated to other countries in Europe - including one couple to Portugal]

Minor drawback that I don't know *any* Portuguese, but I spose I could learn.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Wed, 12 Oct 2005 21:27:42 +0100, Lee_D enlightened us thusly:

yet a another erosion of the presumption of innocence.

Just been looking into habeas corpus, which the new anti-terror thing will severely alter.

Not sure that the presumption of innocence until proven guilty is actually built into the law, but it ought to be. Increasingly, however, it's the case that you have to prove your innocence or be assumed to be guilty.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Austin Shackles wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

About 10 years younger than me! I would never have guessed. You're too young to be such a grouch :-)

Portugal is wonderful, but if you're interested in cheap property consider (particularly if you're planning to move in 25 years time) whether you shouldn't instead learn Czech, or Latvian, or Romanian, or Serbo-Croatian, or Turkish, or perhaps even Arabic. Although in most parts of Europe you can already get by in English, thanks to the education and ambition of the locals, and it will only get easier in the future.

Jeremy

Reply to
Jeremy Mortimer

The 'problem' is that the focus is becoming skewed. Taking the decision making away from the Courts and Judges and vesting the power and responsibility in Ministers. Go figure, that's not 'law'.

Reply to
Mother

Got friends who upped and moved to Romania a couple of years ago.

I've given it some thought, but the place is still pretty grim.

Reply to
Mother
[beware - wildly off topic!] In article , Mother writes

Somebody expressed it to me recently in very stark terms:

We've abolished capital punishment, which was state execution after careful investigation, due process of law, and an appeals process.

The Commissioner of the Met. and the Home Secretary now want us to accept killing by the police on mere suspicion of criminality.

Something is very, very wrong.

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

In news:Xns96EE76AD2D1A6mortimerifrcorg@140.99.99.130, Jeremy Mortimer blithered:

Think what he'll be like with another ten years practice?

Reply to
GbH

On or around Thu, 13 Oct 2005 11:31:29 +0100, "GbH" enlightened us thusly:

and that's another thing... there's no respect these days...

:-)

Reply to
Austin Shackles

During stardate Thu, 13 Oct 2005 10:20:30 GMT, SpamTrapSeeSig uttered the imortal words:

Oh goodie my turn for a rant.

So when you have reason to suspect [1] that the chap infront has his finger on a trigger of a explosive device which may work on release and is intent on doing what he set out regardless of what any one else says / does how do you deal with that, say in a Railway station or other area full of the public where mass loss of life is most certain? Taking out the command centre, i.e. the brain.. with the faint hope that the finger will stay put on that trigger and maybe SOME people can go home that day.

Or do you just lett'em carry on and get out the mop, say sorry to the family and accept that the battle against all things evil is lost, go home and kick the dog and put a call in to the appropriate terror groups legal rep the next day.

Now if someone would kindly jump on the Human rights bandwagon then I'd like to hear some debate around the Human rights of people who want to blow up your family and friends.

Oh I could go on and on on this subject. Like do you think that those officers relish the thought that the person they are about to send to meet their maker could be innocent? The stats are well stacked against it but when the Captial is being pinged by multiple bomb attacks each fortnight you still have little choice.

I say bring back hanging as well. Look at the states.. you can be on death row for longer than some of the wassocks in this country actually serve in prision for some heavy stuff.

Lee D

[1] - Regardless of any other factors your belief is honestly held and your subsequent actions are reasonable in the circumstances.

-- Success is going from failure to failure without a loss of enthusiam. Winston Churchill

'76 101 Camper '64 88" IIa V8 Auto '97 Disco ES Auto LPG'd '01 Laguna

Reply to
Lee_D

I think this is a subject that many will have some quite strong views on, and could also be one of 'those' threads that can develop into things being said in the heat of the moment an all...

P'raps best to leave it here and get on with mopping up the oil from the drive and getting ready for a damp weekend in Wales :-)

Reply to
Mother