Windows not working on a 1998 Rangie DSE

Sheriff> Thanks Derek, I looked at the switches and there were no Sheriff> obvious signs of faults (loose wires, burn marks etc.).

Sheriff> BECM. Are they standard across all P38s? Mine is a 98 Sheriff> 2.5DSE and there are a few on ebay ranging from £120 (on Sheriff> auction) to £500 (buy it now).

No, they're mot all the same, but they did standardise on later models. I don't have the parts book to hand to check.

HOWEVER, if you put a programmed BECM into you car it will lock out the engine until it's recoded, refused to work with the central locking, and possibly increment the mileage on the odometer.

You need to make sure it's a cleared out BeCm (there are people who can do this) or that you get it cleared before fitting. You will also need access to a diagnostic system to program in the new lockset code, other vehicle settings, and the engine ECU to accept the new security codes.

Andy

Reply to
AndyC the WB

Update 19th Jan: The garage has fixed the mysterious battery drain so the Rangie starts every morning now. The windows still don't work though. I was going to swap the switch pack as mentioned above but as none of the switches (all the ones on doors, not just the center console) is it not more likely to be a connector problem? I am reticent to spend =A3250 for a center switch pack to find out it's something else.......

Reply to
Sheriff Fatman

Additional info: The reason I don't think it's the BECM now is that the auto-sparky at the garage managed to get the windows working using his diagnostic computer, i.e. he plugged into the BECM and could raise and lower the windows, they still don't work from the switches though.....

Reply to
Sheriff Fatman

Additional info: The reason I don't think it's the BECM now is that the auto-sparky at the garage managed to get the windows working using his diagnostic computer, i.e. he plugged into the BECM and could raise and lower the windows, they still don't work from the switches though.....

Reply to
Sheriff Fatman

Lifted from rangerovers.net (lots of good info. for P38a owners).

Open the centre console lid and remove the two fixing screws that retain the electric window switch pack in the centre console cubby box. These are located on the top front edge of the cubby box. The pack is retained by two flat spring steel tabs at the bottom. You can tilt it forward and pull it upwards to disengage them. To remove the pack completely, you would need to remove the handbrake grip, but this is not necessary to move the pack out of the way enough to get at the fixings for the gear selector surround.

David

Reply to
rads

Thanks rads, managed to remove the panel totally, nothing looks obviously wrong, no dry joints or loose wires. I can get a replacement panel from rimmer bros for £103 but would love to know if I can check the wires somehow. I'm a dab hand with my multimeter but can't find a wiring diagram anywhere. Where could I get hold of a copy of one?

Any help gratefully received.

thanks Sheriff

"If you could only see what I've seen through your eyes."

"rads" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
Sheriff Fatman

This is a P38?

Extract from US Rave Electical Troubleshooting Manual any help? Can't imagine that yours will be different.

Your e-mail address?

Reply to
Dougal

Yup, a UK P38 (1998 DSE) just remove gobbledegook thanks

Reply to
Sheriff Fatman

remove gobbledegook and it should get to me thanks

"Sheriff Fatman" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@bt.com...

Reply to
Sheriff Fatman

Sent this morning. Your attempts at disguise appeared to have backfired. I'll try again.

Reply to
Dougal

Hi Dougal, sorry for that, my catch-all acount was switched off. If you could try again I'd appreciate it, or try sherifffatman at the same domain. thanks again

sheriff

Reply to
Sheriff Fatman

My 12 year old son just read the subject on this post and then muttered "Why not just install Linux" ;-)

Reply to
EMB

If you still haven't got it send me an e-mail to which I can reply. I'm not going to keep on guessing!

Reply to
Dougal

Tempted, very tempted :-)

Reply to
Sheriff Fatman

And in doing so encapsulates the whole 4x4 debate...

Do you chose the operating system and then select the applications that run on it (4x4 as fashion accessory then used for school run or linux because all my fellow gee^H^Hurus use it) or choose the applications to do the job and get the O/S they run on (towing and launching several tons of boat on dubious surfaces so FWD, TC but it does OMG mpg).

nigelH

Reply to
Nigel Hewitt