Xenon headlamps

Who needs a shotgun? No pellets to spit out either. Cooooooooooking!

Huw

Reply to
Huw

Perhaps you ought to quote The Highway Code Rule 211 and follow it up with Rule 201.

211 says you MUST NOT use front or rear fog lights unless visibilty is seriously reduced. (see Rule 201). 201 says that you MUST use headlights when visibilty is seriously reduced, generally when you cannot see more than 100m (328')

Both rules state you MUST switch fog lights off when visibilty improves

Note the use of MUST and MUST NOT, that means the force of law. In this case the Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989 regs 25 & 27.

Full wording of the rules:

Or get his number and report him. Not that the plod will do anything on a single report but if they get a number of them they might. I know our local lot would in respect of a local vehical driver.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

There is stuff like the speedo too. Its not tested in the MOT but you will get in trouble if you get pulled over and its not working.

Reply to
Tom Woods

I've got a couple of spare sets of spot lights. I'm thinking of sticking a set on the front of my car to use as 'bastard lights' for when somebody comes the other way with their fog lights on.

Reply to
Tom Woods

Along with many others, front fogs, reversing lights (all lights fitted must work clause) being just 2 that I can think of off the top of my head. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

On or around Mon, 28 Nov 2005 22:46:50 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice" enlightened us thusly:

I could find you the actual regulations, if you like, but they're a sod to understand.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I can imagine, the few times I've looked at the actual legislation behind something I rapidly get a headache. B-) The Highway Code rules state the salient facts in plain English that even the biggest d*****ad should be able to understand. Namely if visibilty is greater than 100m (328') the you MUST NOT be using fog lights front or rear.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

they are fitted they must be working? Is there one exclusion? Can't remember, something like you must have brake lights fitted and working? TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

Isn't the reverse light the one? No,legal need and doesn't need to work.

Reply to
Dougal

MOT paperwork must be annotated "no lights fitted at time of test, daylight use only", but other C&U reg's might apply.

Not MOT testable item, but coppers could nab you under the "all lights fitted" clause. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

That's a pain - every year I pay for a new reverse lamp bulb to get it through the MOT and the damn thing never works when I need it. I may as well remove it for all the use it is.

Reply to
William Tasso

On or around Thu, 01 Dec 2005 00:02:14 -0000, "William Tasso" enlightened us thusly:

If it's a 110 it's normally the fog light that goes awol once a year... never had trouble with the reversing light on mine.

but my recollection matches Badger's info - reversing light is not an MOT item. Never been asked to demonstrate it.

The dibbles won't nab you unless they see you reversing with a reversing lamp out :-)

Reply to
Austin Shackles