5V or 12V TPS?

I am about to fit TPS to my carburetor as it is needed for my LPG lambda control system (LCS).

TPS options that LCS has is 0-5V, 0-12V, 5-0V and 12-0V.

How do I know if TPS is for 5V or for 12V? If I measure resistance are there any common values for different voltage?

12V would be more convenient for me, as there would be no need for voltage stabilizer.
Reply to
Yvan

Whatever you do it will need voltage stabilisation, your nominally 12v system will vary between 9 and 15volts in use so could not give a reliable output. I would go for a 5volt system as that seems to be the most common used by many manufacturers and there must be a reason for that. 0- 5 being the way ford do it.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Nedavno Mrcheerful napisa:

You are right, I wasn't thinking...

Yes, I'll fabricate 5V stabilizer... Nothing is as simple as it seems at the beginning... :-)

Reply to
Yvan

1: You can't get 12V from less than 12V easily. 2: 5V is most common volt reg (read cheap) as it's TTL voltage so a 3 pin IC voltage reg does the job with a part count of 1.
Reply to
Peter Hill

Nedavno Peter Hill napisa:

Yes, I have IC 7805. And it's easy to fabricate voltage regulator too. What is not easy (read boring), is to find the place for it out of site in the car, and safely wire it to the car electrical system.

Thanks to all.

Reply to
Yvan

7805S might be a safer bet as it's rated at 2A, not 1A. Doesn't need to be massive. All you need is the 7805 and a heatsink with 12V in, 5V out and ground. Being a bit cunning you could solder the ground to the heatsink and use a self tapper to hold the heatsink to a metal part of the body. Done right, you should be able to make it no bigger than 1"x 0.5". No need to f*ck around mounting it on veroboard or knocking up a PCB.
Reply to
Conor

Conor explained on 08/11/2008 :

The heatsink mounting tab is directly connected to the middle ground pin internally. Just bolt the heatsink to ground, then just 12v in and

5v out wires to solder - add a bit of sleeving, job done.
Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Nedavno Conor napisa:

?????????? 2A? I was thinking of using LM78L05 with output current of

100mA.

I connected TPS to 5V, and it draws only 9.8 mA. So 1A or 2A is way too much.

I think I do not need heatsink. I connected TPS like this (a bit of ASCII art, I hope it looks OK :-)

+12V | R | ------------- | | Z TPS ---- 0-5V signal that I need | | ------------- Ground

Where R is 1Kohm resistor, and Z is unknown zener diode. It is connected now for about an hour, and it is not even warm to touch.

Reply to
Yvan

Nedavno Harry Bloomfield napisa:

That is also a good idea, thank you.

Reply to
Yvan

Err, why do you think 'they' use 5v? Apart from it being common for electronics it will also be stable - unlike the so called 12 volt supply on a car which can vary by about 30%.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In message , Conor writes

78L05 might be an even better bet, it's only 100mA but it's a TPS pot he's powering not a ZX81. If he needs more than a couple of mA then there's a real problem with his wiring.

Don't forget the bypass caps and reverse diode but otherwise can't fault what you say, it could be really neat and tidy if done right.

Reply to
Clint Sharp

Bypass cap? WTF is that?

Reply to
Conor

Nedavno Conor napisa:

I think he is talking about this:

Yvan

Ah. Now it makes sense. So actually, it's a capacitor to smooth out the ripples in the input and output and Clint doesn't know what the f*ck he's on about.

Reply to
Conor

If you take the trouble to read the blurb on 7805's (and other similar regulators), they need a capacitor on the input and a smaller value on the output to prevent them going into oscillation. Generally with a low input impedance source such as a battery, there is no problem.

A diode on the input is only of value for protection against reverse polarity. If there is little likelihood of this happening, as with this use where it will be connected once and forgotten, it has no value. If the heatsink is bolted to ground, again it has no value as there is no possibility of accidently reversing the connections and doing damage.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

And back EMF, a high probability in a system with an alternator.

Reply to
Conor

It happens that Conor formulated :

If you wanted to achieve that - you would put the diode across the supply, rather than in line with it.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

This is the definitive 1A regulator circuit:-

It requires a minimum load to function correctly - 20mA or so is fine.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Dave Plowman (News) formulated on Sunday :

What exactly makes that circuit the 'definitive' one?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Nedavno Harry Bloomfield napisa:

Harry what is your opinion, is LM78L05 with output current of 100mA enough, or do I really need 1 or 2A? I tested the circuit, and it only draws 9mA.

Reply to
Yvan