Annoying oik

I went into a well known car parts chain today for a wiper blade. I knew I wanted a 22 inch one and was comparing prices when a spotty oik came up to 'help' me. I told him I was looking for a 22 inch wiper blade and was comparing prices. He asked what car I needed it for - I told him it didn't matter as I knew the size I wanted - but he insisted he could help me if I told him the car - so that he could then tell me I needed a 22 inch wiper blade I suppose.

Reply to
John

but which type of 22 inch blade? there are quite a few nowadays.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Not the new flat type. Ideally I wanted a Bosch with a particular hole pattern that would have enabled me to swop over the aerofoil. I was happy rummaging.

Reply to
John

It's a huge problem in shops now due to falling sales - shop staff are forced to approach people and appear to steer them in the right direction. It's not as bad as PC World, they pester the life out of you and ask you what you want! You can't even wander around now looking at new products or making your own choice and you have to run like hell to avoid the worthless extended warranty sale. You are lucky you never ventured in to Currys, OMFG, they are absolutely terrible. You get pounced on within 5ft of getting inside the door, asked what it is you want and then get marched over to a sales person waiting to pounce. Then you get the hard sell, then the pressure to buy worthless extended warranties and overpriced leads which they lie about. You're lucky you were only after a wiper blade, but I know exactly what you mean about annoying shop staff. When will they ever learn that if they annoy customers they will never go back again. I just say I don't want any help, if they persist I tell them i will buy elsewhere and leave. If enough people do it they will get the message. If anyone is unfortunate enough to work in a shop, don't annoy the customers and when idiot managers ask why sales have dropped, let them know, stand up for yourself!

Reply to
JReynold

In article , John writes

I must have one of those faces, 'cos it happens to me too. I find that if you face them, meet their eyes and say in a loudish voice "I'm just browsing, /thank you/" they promptly piss off and leave you alone.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

"Oh, is it unreliable? Is that why it needs an extended warranty? Maybe I shouldn't buy it." seems to be effective.

Reply to
Andrew Morton

My daughter bought one of those worthless extended warranties on a pocket size camera she bought from Jessops, it cost about 18% of the camera price. She didn't have it very long when she dropped it, after which her photos were less sharp.

She got a new replacement, no questions asked, which wouldn't have happened under the 12 months manufacturer's guarantee, because that doesn't normally cover all risks.

Reply to
Gordon H

Gordon H gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Last time I got tapped up at the till for an extended warranty was for an iron. The extended warranty cost more than the iron did.

No, but it would almost certainly be covered under your household contents insurance.

Reply to
Adrian

Or she could have simply claimed via her house insurance.

Reply to
Michael Hubert Kenyon

When I last bought Bosch blades about 3 years ago, GSF were exactly half the price of Halfords on a pair for my 206.

Reply to
Doctor D