Focus mk1 front anti roll drop link replacement

I need to change the front offside anti roll drop link on my Focus mk1 tdci. Can I just jack up the front offside or will this put tension on the drop link and be difficult to remove / fit the new one ? Is it necessary to raise both offside and nearside front to keep tension off the drop link ?

Thanks

Reply to
Alt Beer

I doubt you need to lift both sides, if it's anything like the wifes Mondeo .. lift high enough to get the wheel off, and the tension isn't fantastically great. The socket on my wifes fell apart as I tried to prise it off!

I jacked up as normal via the sill jacking point, then used another jack to position the wishbone so the drop-link went back on dead easy.

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Generally you need to equalise the tension, makes it much easier.

Reply to
Rob

it is easier to do if both sides are at the same height, either both wheels should be hanging or jack up the suspension on the side you are working on, you can hurt yourself if the a-r bar is under tension when you try to remove the link.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

should be hanging or jack up the suspension on the

when you try to remove the link.

The Haynes manual says to undo the track rod end ball joint nuts on both sides of the vehicle and detach the rods from the arms on the steering knuckles before removing the drop link, is this really necessary?

The above with front of the vehicle lifted both sides.

Thanks

Reply to
Alt Beer

No, you don't need that step as far as I can remember. All it would do is make the leg easier to rotate.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

I would say no, never changed any sway bar rubbers by detaching the arms.

Reply to
Rob

I raised the front and let both wheels hang. There was no tension on the drop link. Old one out, new one in without any pushing or shoving.

Thanks for the help.

and be difficult to remove / fit the new one ?

the drop link ?

Reply to
Alt Beer