Best Rated threads in Car Maintenanceshow all threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Peugeot 306 1.9D Outer CV Joint Boot
I've just noticed that the left-hand outer CV joint boot on my 1993 306 has split, throwing grease all around the rear of the hub. I was wondering if anyone has successfully replaced the outer boot on...
4
4

fiesta 1.25 zetec labours above 4000 rpm. Solutions? (2023 Update)
I've got an N reg 1.25 Fiesta Zetec with 80k on the clock. It starts first time every time and runs fine and smoothly. However I have the following two problems. Problem 1. After starting, although...
11
11

Mk 3 Mondeo Clutch
Hi all. Long winded question for you lot... I've got a 2003 Mk 3 Mondeo TDCI. Was in a low speed bump (at a roundabout) about 6 weeks ago. Needed a new bumper & cross-member behind the bumper. These...
8
8

rule of 9
i have got a question about interpeting the rule of 9 method for use with chain driven 4 cyl pushrod engines. (when 8 is fully open check & adjust 1 etc). the biggest difficulty i have is determining...
24
24

are Ford Focus cars reliable?
Are they reliable? You see loads about the place, are they worth buying?
5
5

Idle control valve on 2.5 Vectra
Hi all, This relates to my 1997 Vectra 2.5 V6 SRi. After cleaning the idle control valve on my car, it ran better for about a minute then went beck to rough idling at best and stalling at worst. I...
5
5

Cam belt change - now whistling
I had the cam belt changed recently on my 1994 Rover 214SEi. Since then the engine appears to make a whistling noise when it's on. Does it when stationary and is more noticeable when starting after...
5
5

Micra - vibrating exhaust.
Hi 1990 Nissan Micra automatic. I successfully replaced the engine with a good second hand engine. Trouble is the exhaust is vibrating and knocking now. When standing there is no noticeable or unusual...

Cavalier handbrake unbalanced.
Well, now I've fitted brand new drums and shoes on each side, adjusted the "self adjusters", and still the brake comes on harder on the nearside. If I apply the handbrake going slowly on a stony...
20
20

Porsche 944 front wing removal
I am currently restoring my 944 which I damaged in a 'bump' and I am trying to remove the front off-side wing. I have removed all the bolts located along the top edge and I've also separated it from...
7
7

Fixing compression tester?
I've got an old Gunson compression tester that I bought from Halfords many moons ago. Came to use it t'other day but noticed the hose had split where it connects (crimped) at the bottom end. I cut the...
8
8

Rover 620
Hello one and all........................ We are thinking of buying a Rover 620 SI or TI I think that's right :) Is there anything we should look out for I'm sure you lad's not all the thing that go...
17
17

Peugot 306 Radio Cassette "Code in" "- - - -"
Hi, I have a Peugot 306. Recently the battery got very low. It wouldn't start. The break down recovery people came round attached a device to give it enough power to start. It started and got...

Vectra rocker box torque setting
Hi, I am looking to replace the rocker box gasket on my 2lt Vectra (t-99) and wonder if anyone can tell me the correct torque setting for the (14?) torx headed screws that hold the rocker box down ??...
7
7

MK3 Golf juddering under load
Evening all My MK3 1.8GL Golf (1995 M Reg) started juddering under load on Thursday, and it's gotten progressively worse over the weekend. The car is in generally in good mechanical condition apart...

Escort Van
Hi I am in the process of doing a load (and I mean load) of clearence from my sisters and my garden as well as dismataliing about 150 yards of fencing and posts which is about a million years old. I...
11
11

Car Specification data online?
Anybody know if there's an equivalent to the American "Alldata"? A sort of online resource where you can find specs and maintenance data, for example, valve clearances for my girlfriends Suzuki Alto....
1
1

Vauxhall Corsa ??tappet?? rattle
Hi, I've got a Vauxhall Corsa 1.4 (8-valve). When it's cold weather the tappets rattle REALLY badly when you first start it up after it's been standing for a couple of hours. When I asked about this...
5
5

Light jittery steering, bumps wrench the wheel
Looking for advice please. A while ago my car (an H reg Clio RL) was suffering from severe pull to the left, which hadd been getting worse over the years. I replaced my track rod ends and after having...
7
7

Corsa 1.5 td noisy engine
Hi I have a Corsa td 1997 102k on the clock. I've had this car for a month. The problem is that it is very noisy. The previous owner has recently admitted that the she blew the head gasket 2 months...
10
10