Best Rated threads in Car Maintenanceshow all threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

pierburg 2e3 leak
the area around part throttle enrichment valve (right side of carb in photo) is wet and i was getting half the milage i was normally used was a strong smell of gas in engine bay. in my search for the...

Renault Clio high level stop light
can anyone tell me why the handbook says take the car to a renault dealer to have the high level centre stop light changed. any idea how much a new centre stop light is ? tia steve
5
5

Vibration in Ford Mondeo
Hi all, Just after I got my Mondeo in February, I had a small incident on my drive. I have a steep drive and was rather suprised to have it covered in sheet ice one evening, something I only noticed...
17
17

Renault Laguna Fuel Pump - Easy to change?
Any one had experience with changing one - is it a Haynes manual job or is there more to it? Its in the trunk and need a gentle whack now and again as it seems to be siezing intermittently? Any advice...

Vauxhall Safira stuttering
A colleague's 1.8 Safira (petrol multipoint injection)is stuttering/cutting out at idle especially when cold. Any suggestions? He has thought about the O2 sensor and/or injector cleaning.

Odd (Intermittent) Hydraulic Problem
A really odd one here. My car has a hydraulic clutch which is behaving really oddly. Most of the time it works perfectly. Foot down. Clutch disengages. Foot up. Clutch engages. From time to time...
14
14

Rover K engine cost.....?
Hi all, I need a replacement 1.4 16v k series engine.....what should I expect to pay from a scrappies?? Thanks.
73
73

New cam belt - rattles when cold
Just had a new cam belt fitted. Upon starting the car when I picked it up there was a rattling/ticking noise - put it down to the new belt and guessed it'd go away, which it did after 5 or 10 minutes...
13
13

RE: Engine in Ford XR3i MK4
Hi, I've recently bought a Ford Escort MK4 XR3i but I'm a bit lost with the actual design of the engine. Its a 1989 XR3i 1.6, is there an easy way to identify the engine properly? I'm not sure if its...
2
2

Wheeler Dealers (Discovery H&L) - Parts Warehouse
Don't know if anyone on here watched this last night - it wasn't that interesting - but passed an hour or so - but the presenter went to a "car parts awarehouse" and got a wing for an old Merc for 26...
9
9

Escort 94 1.4i (CVH) - MPG
Hello, How many MPG would you expect from a Escort 94 1.4i (CVH). Im avaraging around 25 - 30 round town, put some BP Ultimate in as it was all that was left at the petrol station, and got 39-41 mpg,...
2
2

Paraffin in a Diesel Engine??
Not cars I know, but and engine of car parentage My Grandad has an allotment/freehold where he has some sheds and out houses paraffin, he uses a small diesel engine of dubious parentage (ex car - but...
3
3

Daewoo Nexia Fuel Gauge Problem.
Hi, Recently purchased 'P' plate Nexia saloon 1.5 GLi - everything's fine bar the ABS light ( I read the thread already here on that subject ) and a dodgy fuel gauge. I took some advice from a chap in...
12
12

Citroen Xsara 98 hatch, leak in boot
I have a 98 hatch Xsara and have a damp rear edge on my carpet sometimes. If I use the hose on the car I see no water ingress. I wonder if it is condensation running down from the rear window and onto...
2
2

will it fail MOT because of boken towing eye
hiya everyone does anyone know if my m-reg Clio will fail MOT because the front Towing-eye is broken, and the Airbag light on the dashboard has not worked since i bought the car few months ago. any...
7
7

Ka dipstick level - HELP!
Right... just got in from lying out in the cold under the car for the last 45mins..... Drained the oil from the sump, took off the filter (was a right pain even with oil filter pliers), new filter on,...
22
22

New car rough running
Hello. Hoping somebody could help me. I have a Fiat Stilo 1.6 16v which is only 3 months old, and at times it gets a rough boomy engine tone when I'm driving, especially under acceleration. There does...
10
10

citroen XM noisy hydraulic fluid pump
Hi, The hydraulic fluid pump on my citroen XM 1997 makes a scraping noise when the engine revs. When idling it isn't audible, only a tick now and then. Is the pump on its way out? Thanks L.
3
3

NIssan Primera 1.6 (carb) with too fast idle
Hi My j reg Nissan Primera 1.6 carburettor version suddenly stared to idle at about twice it's normal speed last night and hasn't returned to normal. I'm going to check the auto choke but could the...
6
6

Peugeot 306 - Head gasket
The head gasket in my 306 Turbo Diesel is starting to give trouble. There's the tell-tail oil in the water symptom and it's randomly overheating. I don't know what to do about it though, I dunno...
7
7