Brake Fluid change

You've never had anything to do with a 309 have you?

Reply to
Duncanwood

Luckily, no. Obviously.

But in many many years of owning old bangers I've never broken a bleed nipple. Perhaps it's technique?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Thinking about it I've never broken one, it's the rounded off corners that have pissed me off every time, that's why I have a box of spare ones.

Reply to
Duncanwood

The message from Duncanwood contains these words:

I've just rounded off the lower left bolt that holds the vacuum pump to the cam carrier on a Perkins Prima. Utterly buggered. Luckily, since I had a spare pump kicking around under the bench I just snapped it off so I could get the head off and deal with the bolt once accessible.

Reply to
Guy King

No can do. I want to get to places.

Reply to
Stuart Gray

Sorry, cannot see this happening - need better brakes

Reply to
Stuart Gray

I usually do all that Conor, I'm used to the good old Volvo's I used to own, where I could go at any speed I bloodly well wanted. Mebbe I'm expecting too much of the French crap I now use.

Reply to
Stuart Gray

Has anyone tried the irwin bolt extractors?

Duncan Wood

Tis true. All this cost cutting is getting out of hand.

Reply to
Conor

Hammer. Nail. Head. Congratulations.

My volvo has never suffered noticable fade, even when smoke has been pouring from the front AND rear brakes. The advice about using original pads and discs is good as most modern cars are over-braked, but OE setups are designed for "average" use and long life.

If you're driving like a tit, do what I did and get a low cost upgrade at least (Brembo HC discs and Ferodo DS pads for me, whatever the respectable tuning houses for your car recommends for you). If you're doing trackdays then go for a full on big brake kit, or budget for a new set of discs / pads every outing.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

No, you need a better car!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

More likely the fluid was old I think; the brakes as designed were well up to the job as the old HJ60 was designed for real heavy-duty work. And yes, it may be the Peak District, but "mountains" is a bit of an exaggeration! These are babies compared with Wales or the Scottish highlands.

Reply to
Chris Bolus

you hsould see high wycombe then :)

Reply to
dojj

The message from " dojj" contains these words:

I used to teach round there. Some of the hill starts used to strike fear into the hearts of examiners, let alone learners.

Reply to
Guy King

you deffinitly need a motor with a bit of power to get up them :)

Reply to
dojj

Ah! Mapperley in Nottingham.

Reply to
Chris Bolus

Guy King ( snipped-for-privacy@zetnet.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

I grew up in Derbyshire and took my driving test in Buxton. I now live near Wycombe.

I've never really seen the appeal of flat places...

Reply to
Adrian

The message from Adrian contains these words:

I had some learners in Hounslow - had to use hump-back railway bridges for hillstart practice.

Reply to
Guy King

Keeping a car for 10 years and not having to change the clutch? Or being able to go out in the winter perhaps?

:-)

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

The message from Chris Whelan contains these words:

Part of that's technique. In the snow 3 years ago I got up my road - about 1:8, so not terrible steep - quite happily while others were larking about getting stuck and sliding around like penguins.

The difference was I was towing a trailer with a piano on it.

Reply to
Guy King