Brake Fluid change

i found that i could go up a hill in the snow no problem but coming down i had to go down a bit, lose control on the ice, reverse up a little bit, then go down a bit more and so on and so forth it took about an hour to trasnverse a hill of about 200 yards, not even a great slope, more along the line of pehaps a 1:15

Reply to
dojj

The message from " dojj" contains these words:

I remember my neighbour sliding into a metal fence on our road 'cos he didn't remember to release the brakes when he started to slip. Downhill in snow is relatively easy - stick it in 1st then leave the gear lever, the steering (as much as possible) and all the pedals alone.

Reply to
Guy King

A story I have mentioned before - cycling along a snowy road, met a lady saying 'you won't be able to go down there, I've blocked the road'. Sure enough, she had - put it sideways on an icy single track road. (properly icy - all the way across, walking was a bit tricky). With some pushing, we got the car pointing the right way again, and I drove it down the rest of the hill at rather less than walking pace, using the brakes to keep it there (and not letting the wheels lock). Had I tried going down in first with no pedals, I'd have been going quite a lot faster, and I really didn't want to go any faster at all - especially since it wasn't my car. I did try stopping a couple of times, and I was going sufficiently slowly that it worked (after sliding for a couple of feet if I tried to lock the wheels rather than being careful).

At the bottom she got in and drove off. Set off, accelerated, braked, slid for a couple of metres. Still hadn't learned that there wasn't any grip, sigh.

Anyway the moral is that there is a place for using brakes on snowy/icy hills, but it does take care.

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

Surely it's a bit of a ball-ache/expensive to aquire though for only a couple of days of bad snow a year ;)

Reply to
Tony Bond (UncleFista)

The message from "Clive George" contains these words:

When teaching my wife to drive we went out in the snow one day - mostly 'cos it was there and a good chance to play with a new experience. She was toddling very slowly up to a suburban right-angled bend when the car behind [1]overtook, failed to find enough traction to make the turn and went straight through someone's garden wall onto their lawn.

When we stopped to check he was OK - and laugh, of course, he said it was our fault and that he had /had/ to overtake us as we were going too slowly.

[1] Would it help if I said this was 16 years ago and it was a red Escort?
Reply to
Guy King

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Guy King saying something like:

Grand. You avoided the glissando, then?

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

The message from Grimly Curmudgeon contains these words:

Nary a blue note.

Reply to
Guy King