Cheap older Q-Car for a dad who should know better

In news:dH5sc.108$m36.14@newsfe2-win, Scott Mills decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Because they're a total money pit if you use them in the intended fashion.. anything that makes Integrale running costs look like a bargain is bad news.

ISTR one of the bigwigs at VAG being caught a few years ago admitting that anyone who runs a quattro past 50k miles is staring at huge bills..

Reply to
Pete M

I think your definition of 'quite quick' and everyone else's definition of quite quick are a few hundred miles apart......[1]

If you want a quick Tempra, you need a Tipo Sedicavalvole.

[1] Reminds me of my great uncle, who, on gravitating towards 30mph in his immaculate MkI Marina, turned to me and declared 'she goes a bit for an old girl'. How I kept a straight face, I'll never know.
Reply to
SteveH

It's nice to see you keep his memory alive when riding the VFR.

Reply to
Simon Atkinson

In news:1ge9g1s.1qseu8x18usnygN% snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk, SteveH decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Thats quicker than I'd go in a Mk1 Marina.. the brakes on those bloody things must have been designed by a member of EXIT..

Reply to
Pete M

Given that you've not seen me ride the VFR, that's one hell of an assumption to make.

Reply to
SteveH

That's not strictly true is it?

Reply to
Simon Atkinson

ISTR the one and only time I rode with you was when I had the TRX.

I may not be the fastest rider out there, but from the evidence of recent rideouts, I'm at least averagely quick compared with the other riders out on the roads.

Top marks go to the rider of some large-bore twin on the A465 today, after clowning about pulling some rather large, but ultimately short-lived wheelies past other traffic, made a pathetic attempt at a knee-down whilst hanging off the bike like a gibbon and doing a good

20mph less than me on my 2-up VFR. Lovely, apart from the fact I nearly arse-ended him, that is.
Reply to
SteveH

Ah - that'll be it then - I couldn't remember what you were riding at the time TBH.

I was basing it on your postings (in another place) about it not fitting down country roads...

Reply to
Simon Atkinson

Did some very nasty little unclassified roads today, still not really comfortable doing them on a 220 kilo sports tourer with linked brakes, though.

Which is why I want something like a Transalp / F650 / R100GS or similar as a 2nd bike.

It was fun, in a sort of 'oh shit' way doing Devil's Staircase 2-up with linked brakes, though.

Reply to
SteveH

I stand corrected. The one I looked at must have been 'converted'. definitely twin-cam heads (in rather racey crackle red finish too).

JB

Reply to
JB

I don't know what all the fuss about linked brakes is - I've got them on the Pan (and ABS) and it's fine... Perhaps it's the ABS that makes it OK?

Reply to
Simon Atkinson

In 99% of conditions they're fine. On twisty, mountainous, gravel-strewn roads, the thought of a front caliper activating when you only want to drag the rear isn't pleasant.

Didn't acutally have any dodgy moments, but it doesn't help the confidence.

Reply to
SteveH

I think that's why the ABS make such a difference. It makes it all OK.

Reply to
Simon Atkinson

Oh yes, definitely. I am easily impressed!!

Reply to
Mark W

It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk (SteveH) saying something like:

Perhaps he was referring to your great-aunt.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

What's the definituion of a Q-car? I always thought it was a fast car that didn't look fast - for the element of surprise.

The Nissan 300 ZX targa twin turbo doesn't exactly match that definition so perhaps I am wrong (certainly wouldnt be the first time!)

Reply to
MB_UK

sorry for my ignorance but what is a Qcar?

cheers

Reply to
Darren Bastin

Usually a faster-than-average car which looks like it aint ;)

Reply to
Tony Bond

It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Darren Bastin" saying something like:

Often a smallish shopping type car which has been fitted with something worthwhile under the bonnet. Preferably the brakes and suspension have been uprated to cope with it too.

The result is something that still looks like a shopping trolley but goes like stink, leading to all sorts of amusement at the traffic lights GP.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

or a boggo looking repmobile with fire breathing mechanicals

e.g a cosworth powered sierra GL or a v8 powered sierra, a

3l RWD escort , RWD cavalier with manta 400 mechanicals a 3 series compact with an M3 engine ....
Reply to
Martyn Hodson