Cheap tools heads up

I've never seen 'stock' tools in any Lidl. They're always a special offer round here. Of course, sometimes get reduced further - if they don't sell.

I haven't bought a lot from them - simply because I already have most of what I need. But here's a rough list of things I've bought and would recommend. Of course they may never come up again.

Titanium coated twist drill set in 0.5mm steps from 0.5 - 10mm in a flip out steel case. Cheaper than Screwfix and of excellent quality.

Torx, allen and pozidriv etc set with extensions and ratchet handle. Has had heavy use (torx and allen) and stood up well. Incredible value.

VDE side cutter, plier, and wire stripper set. Bought for use where my 'posh' ones might get lost or stolen. Perfectly usable.

9" angle grinder and diamond cutting discs. Did what it was bought for easily and again incredible value. Soft start too.

Random orbit sander and assorted discs. Again, incredible value.

Electric stapler. Staples not easy to find in a shed - but are actually a Bosch standard so can be bought mail order etc or from Lidl when on offer. Again nothing else close to the price.

SMPS battery charger. Does recovery and float. Available elsewhere at 4x the price. Been mentioned here and elsewhere many times.

One thing not at all car related - their support rods. Locking telescopic with fine screw adjustment - used for supporting plasterboard etc to a ceiling before fixing. Simply a superb design and fantastic value.

I've bought other things too - but those are the highlights that spring to mind. All have been more than satisfactory and none have given problems. On that basis I'd say they select everything else like this to the same sort of standard.

Just that there's not a handy one to anywhere I regularly go. And can't see much point in making a special trip. But a mate bought a pair of snipe nose pliers which bent on first use. So market stall quality.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That sort of thing is often a good indication of quality. If it survives reasonable use.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Chris Whelan gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Yes, but why would I _want_ to?

Reply to
Adrian

Save waiting with it on the hard shoulder?

Reply to
Mrcheerful

"Mrcheerful" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

When the bloatybarge Winne fails? True.

Reply to
Adrian

Those are exactly the sorts of things I avoid like the plague from shops like Lidl, assuming them to be as soft as butter. So thanks for the heads-up, I'll give 'em a try.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

Dave Plowman (News) submitted this idea :

They sometimes have stock of items not advertised as 'special'.

They are very good, as good as any you can buy - I bought four sets.

Very well made indeed and feel satisfying in use.

Was it Lidl or Aldi who sold sets of Stanley pliers, snips etc.? They also sold sets of Stanley drivers.

Over the years I bought four of them, very good value.

I have had some items turn out to be rubbish, but generally the quality is very good indeed.

I tend to buy odd items which don't need to be top quality to do their job. The £1 rubber hammers are good value.

Rather than walking to fetch tools, I tend to now keep several sets of what I might need in my various workshops at home, boot of car etc. These tools are cheap enough to do that.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

on 17/07/2009, Willy Eckerslyke supposed :

I don't think you would be disappointed.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Yup - pretty well my idea too for some things. For example I have some cheap combination spanners in the house workshop for the odd occasion I'll want them there - it's only really used for woodworking and electronics. So it's nice to have clean ones handy rather than use the car stuff. Which is in the main 'quality' brands.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Have you considered moving somewhere more pikey? ;-)

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Someone's probably beaten me to it, but I haven't yet looked so I'll be the first in my mind at least....

Have you ever considered moving somewhere more pikey?

Reply to
AstraVanMann

One down in Blackwater too. You've only got to drive down through the estate just north of the A30 there in December and look at the decorations on the houses there to make a conclusion about that area....

Reply to
AstraVanMann

LOL - funnily enough, on local radio they were talking about motorhomes, and someone said that in some tourist attractions it's a pain having it as your sole means of getting about as they're got height restrictions on entry to the car parks, and suggested towing your car around with the motorhome. I couldn't help but piss myself.

Reply to
AstraVanMann

If your aim is to provide the best possible value you're hardly likely to build a store in a high rent area. Which is why Lidl tend to avoid the retail parks and posh high streets. Many are perfectly happy to drive to a shopping centre so what's the difference driving to a Lidl? As regards groceries etc they are rather mixed. Poor IMHO for fresh vegetables. Good for basic cheeses. Cooked meats too. Excellent for household cleaning materials etc - unless you want advertised brands.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not really, it is a great convenience to have a little car with you, park up in a nice spot and nip into town for supplies or to visit the castle, pub or whatever, then when you move on just hitch it up behind. It is only a step up from a cycle or scooter hitched on the back.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

That's my philosophy on cheap angle-grinders, I've bought 'em from Aldi, Lidl etc. I now have 5-6 :) Sounds daft until you see that they all have different disks on, cutting, grinding, brush etc. saves hours of time having to stop and change disks.

I've not found a bad grinder yet, apart from a cheap Tesco one that only lasted a few months occasional use..

Reply to
Tony (UncleFista)

same here, the only caveat is that the cheap grinders tend to have large bodies and are heavier than the quality makes, so if you have large hands they are ok, but weak small hands or the need to use them for long periods means that an Hitachi, Makita or suchlike is then far better.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

They vibrate more as well, which isn't really an issue for DIY.

Reply to
Duncan Wood
+AD4- same here, the only caveat is that the cheap grinders tend to have large +AD4- bodies and are heavier than the quality makes, so if you have large hands +AD4- they are ok, but weak small hands or the need to use them for long periods +AD4- means that an Hitachi, Makita or suchlike is then far better.

I can see that, I bought my first DeWalt drill a month or two ago, after years of using (and not minding) cheapos. Kinda spoils my other cheap ones now, they're s**te in comparison.

That's why I'll not buy a decent grinder, for the use they get from me it's not worth it. The cheap ones are OK. You don't miss what you don't know +ADs-)

Reply to
Tony (UncleFista)

From what I understand, setting up a motorhome is about as much work as setting up a caravan. You can't just pull up to a halt and go to sleep in the back, jump up in the morning and get driving again.

Reply to