Dipped Headlights.

:

I've never encountered a sugarbeet. And two hands don't help in this ca= se anyway. Not with power steering. In fact if you need to turn the wh= eel a lot, two hands get in the way of each other. Ever seen someone at= tempt a 3 point turn with both hands? It looks ridiculous.

Reply to
Peter Hucker

On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 06:57:54 -0000, Terry F. wro= te:

wro=3D

Is this a standard U-turn or a handbrake assisted one?

Reply to
Peter Hucker

I said they serve NO purpose. You're the only one with reasons.

Reply to
Peter Hucker

e:

Yep they do,

Even wit power steering. YOu can holkd a far steadier line with two hand= s =

than one hand.

Which is a pretty unknown situatoin nowadays exccept when

#

& pointless.
Reply to
Duncan Wood

Well him & every study into the subject. & the highway code in conditions of reduced visibility.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

If I was going offroad on a very bumpy track, I may consider two hands. Or I might hold onto the seat with one of them!

To turn at a junction, 90 degrees, I turn the wheel about 3/4s of a turn. Doing that with both hands is a nuisance.

Agreed - one hand can rotate the wheel quicker.

Reply to
Peter Hucker

Reply to
Peter Hucker

That's it; all cars should be dayglo orange/yellow/green. :-)

Reply to
Ian Smith

I asn't talking about reduced visibility. I said "They're for when it's dark/foggy. NOT when it's daylight."

Reply to
Peter Hucker

Agreed. Motorbikes and emergency vehicles need to stand out.

Reply to
Peter Hucker

A handbrake-assisted one only needs one hand on the handbrake and no hands on the wheel!

Reply to
Terry F.

What on earth is wrong with leaving lights on in a filling station?

A decent battery is 40-60 amp hours. Dipped beam =3D 2x55W + 6x5W + das= h lights =3D about 150 watts =3D about 12.5 amps. You might have troubl= e starting the car after over 2 hours in the queue to pay for your fuel.= ....

And as for people who get all upset when they leave their sidelights on = in the carpark at work - 6 x 5W =3D about 2.5 amps. 8 hour day, and you= 've lost only 50% of a small battery.

Reply to
Peter Hucker

So what wattage are "daylight lamps"?

Reply to
Peter Hucker

= about 150 watts = about 12.5 amps. You might have trouble starting the car after over 2 hours in the queue to pay for your fuel.....

carpark at work - 6 x 5W = about 2.5 amps. 8 hour day, and you've lost only 50% of a small battery.

I'm not bothered about people leaving their sidelights on, but I can't understand the stupidity of people who leave headlights on when they're in a filling station, or parked in a lay-by having a coffee break or whatever. It all contributes to light pollution, and makes vision less good for those who need to see where they're are going, i.e. those actually moving.

Perhaps a better example of the adverse effects of this is picking your way through roadworks at night where there is single line traffic. In this case the queue waiting at the red light would be better advised to switch off their unnecessary headlights, and not be presenting added glare to those on the move, whose own headlights are thus rendered less effective.

A similar situation is apparent in built up areas with street lighting. If the streetlighting is very good, you don't need headlights. If the streetlighting fairly poor you do need headlights, but they are less useful to you because of the light provided by the streetlights, there is less contrast etc. You actually get the most benefit from your own headlights in areas where there is no other lighting.

Best wishes all, Dave.

Reply to
TripleS

Obviously not.

Reply to
Brimstone

It might be a good thing if it were to pursue the right sort of policies, but if it's going to simply be a bigger and more expensive bunch of interfering busybodies than our own government, it's even worse.

Best wishes all, Dave.

Reply to
TripleS

No, it definitely ISN'T under certain conditions. And NO, the daytime running lights are NOT dipped/low beams, but either a separate dedicated light(s) as Volvo used for a couple of decades now on UK market cars, or headlights that run though a separate low-power circuit with reduced wattage. They are NOT dazzling! If the EU adopts "dipped lights" instead of DRL as the standard, then they are stupid beyond belief.

Jim B on PEI/Jeep, Studebaker, Kaiser, Subaru, Toyota-different years and different driving experiences

Reply to
George Mills

On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 23:29:21 -0000, Terry F. wro= te:

wro=3D

You need a hand free to give the finger to the cop behind you.

Reply to
Peter Hucker

dash lights =3D about 150 watts =3D about 12.5 amps. You might have tro= uble starting the car after over 2 hours in the queue to pay for your fu= el.....

on in the carpark at work - 6 x 5W =3D about 2.5 amps. 8 hour day, and = you've lost only 50% of a small battery.

When parked in a filling station having the lights shining towards the c= ashier's office does no harm. They aren't dazzling anyone on the road. = Why bother turning them off for 2 minutes? I certainly don't.

I agree - I turn my lights down to sidelights when in a streetlamp lit a= rea.

I suppose in the above example you'd end up with people forgetting to sw= itch them back on, but then as they are only needed for the drvier to se= e, and not to be seen, he would soon realise it was too dark.

However, what about when it's pissing down with rain? When looking in m= y wingmirror before changing lane on a motorway, it's easier to see head= lights than sidelights, as the mirror is covered with rain.

Oh. I just said that :-)

Reply to
Peter Hucker

Still no answer.