Dipped Headlights.

And for those who talk of the 'trade benefits' of being in the EU, we could rejoin EFTA or simply the EEA and retain all the trade benefits without all the bad stuff.

" The European Economic Area (EEA) came into being on January 1, 1994 following an agreement between three member states of European Free Trade Association (EFTA), the European Community (EC), and all member states of the European Union (EU). It allows these EFTA countries to participate in the European Single Market without joining the EU...............

The EFTA countries that are part of the EEA do not bear the financial burdens associated with EU membership "

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Ah, mandsatory retests every 5 years would be better?

Reply to
Duncan Wood

WEll on the M11 last week visibility without Fog lights was less than 200 yards, trucks without lights on where down to 100 yards.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

The day in in my anecdote was very foggy.

Reply to
Brimstone

Nuff said.

Reply to
Brimstone

Coordination is the key to happy driving!

Reply to
Terry F.

That sounds more like it. Being part of a trading group (which is how the EEC was originally portrayed to us) makes sense, but I do not like all the political involvement, and being in receipt of all the EU Directives etc., even if we do play a small part in producing them.

We ought to be running our own show, independently of other states, apart from trading relationships, but co-operating with them as and when we see mutual benefit in other subject areas; and that should be the limit of our involvement.

Best wishes all, Dave.

Reply to
TripleS

It's too big a task; the resources aren't there, nor do I think they could be created within a reasonably short timescale.

How many driving tests are carried out annually at present? How could we cope with doing an *additional* seven million every year? It simply doesn't sound feasible to me.

I'm more attracted to the idea of getting a development of the IAM / RoSPA groups to do assessments and provide support and guidance to existing drivers, but even this would have to be done on a selective basis. I don't see them being able to cope with assessing every driver every five years.

Best wishes all, Dave.

Reply to
TripleS

However if you join EFTA you still have to comply with almost all of the directives, you don't get any say in them whatsoever.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Which is a condition that only ever applies to the EU, to be sure.

Er..?

Cheers,

Reply to
James Dore

Good job we never joined EFTA, then.

Reply to
Ian Dalziel

That's no good. We should get away from this business of having the EU issuing Directives (or whatever else they may care to call them) that we have to comply with, and if that means getting out of the EU, so be it.

It's all very well entering into agreements with other individuals and groups when it is felt to be mutually beneficial, and I'm all in favour of doing that. What I do not like is the notion of having our country partially governed by people in other countries, and that's what we've got.

Hells bells, our own government can be a big enough pain in the arse, but at least is is *our government* and we we must do the best we can with them, i.e. tell them to get stuffed as and when we feel it is appropriate and can organise ourselves to stand up to them en masse.

What we don't need, and should not accept, is all this externally generated crap being imposed on us.

There you go; put that in your pipe and smoke it. I have a garden that needs digging. :-)

Best wishes all, Dave.

Reply to
TripleS

Seems the people that are really throwing their arms up in horror at this, are the motor cyclists. They are claiming their headlamp won't be seen, if all the cars are driving with their headlights on.

tox

Reply to
Your Worst Nightmare

"Brimstone" wrote

A lot of drivers obviously thought it was very foggy that day. Here in the soft south, I haven't encountered a really decent fog for over 25 years.

Reply to
DavidR

"Raymond Keattch" wrote

Other vehicles are not the only things drivers have to avoid. It makes no sense to cause dazzle and block out other things that need to be seen.

If some drivers think they need to be more conspicouous why on earth did they buy a grey car?

Reply to
DavidR

This was in west London during the 1980s.

Reply to
Brimstone

So you still don't actually have a reason then. Thought not.

Reply to
Peter Hucker

On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 07:24:26 -0000, Terry F. wro= te:

wro=3D

:

There is absolutely no need or advantage in using both hands, unless you= are driving a heavy van without power steering.

Reply to
Peter Hucker

=

e:

WEll if you don't consider reducing the distance you deviate from your =

intended line when you drive over a sugarbeet in the fog an advantage.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

They have a good point.

Graham