Dipped Headlights.

I couldn't agree more.

All the EU seems to do is add more and more pointless regulations to our lives. It's their raison d'etre it seems. It's time it was stopped.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

I simply don't believe it'll do any such thing.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Better driver education/training is the way to go.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

The choice is simple, bureaucrats inventing new rules etc or more people out of work.

Reply to
Brimstone

It only seems that way because of all the Europhobic drivel printed in the Daily Mail and the like. When you take the time to find out the truth behind these stories, they generally turn out to be grossly misreported.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

Indeed. 2 bulbs @ 55 watts each for 9 hours = 1KWh. Those KWhs have to come from somewhere!

Reply to
Terry F.

Not forgetting:

2 x rear lights @ 5W each 2 x number plate lights @ 5W each 2 x sidelights @ 5W each Interior illumination of dash, switches, ect possibly another 20W, and you add another 50W to the load.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

None of which need to be on during daylight.

The daylight running lights can be connected through the ignition switch and circuitry to come on when the engine is started and all the other lights to come on when the approproiate switch is operated.

Reply to
Brimstone

Indeed.

Have you looked at what lights come on with DRL's currently?

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

It's not just 1 kWh either. You have to factor in the efficiency of the alternator plus the losses in driving it. More like 1.5 kWh to obtain every

1.0 kWh of actual light.

Multiply that by the car population of the UK which is 32 million or so and you could run a sizeable town on the power output.

Reply to
Dave Baker

Brimstone ("Brimstone" ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

So you'd be happy to have cars running around with the front lights on, but no rear lights until the driver switches 'em on manually...?

Are you spotting where there may be a potential issue in that theory?

Reply to
Adrian

If what you're worrying about is the bureaucrats being out of work, there need be no such problem. They can be found useful things to do, but it will not include dreaming up new rules for the rest of us.

Best wishes all, Dave.

Reply to
TripleS

Hear hear!

Reply to
James Dore

I expect there is a degree of exaggeration in some of the reporting, but for the most part we'll still be on pretty safe ground if we tell the EU to get stuffed.

Best wishes all, Dave.

Reply to
TripleS

I don't. What hazards are there in broad daylight on a road? Apart form you driving along with lights on so people can't judge where you are?

Reply to
Peter Hucker

Me. (Hint, your next response should be to list some purposes you think they serve).

Reply to
Peter Hucker

On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 13:22:49 -0000, Terry F. wro= te:

Of course. Why send two opposing signals from your brain to turn a corn= er? (Left arm down, right arm up)

Reply to
Peter Hucker

Had them in Canada for years. In lots of weather conditions during daylight hours, hot and brassy, cool and grey, misty, snowy, rainy they are a more precise indicator of distance when you are passing/overtaking on two lanes so you have a better idea of when you have to swerve in to avoid hitting that oncoming vehicle :-) The eyes play tricks at times. And it isn't actually dipped here, but a half-power circuit (sensibly on high beams most manufacturers), so you get more use out of the halos.Sometimes separate dedicated lights, similar to Volvos and the Subaru I drive.

Jim B >

Reply to
George Mills

"Brimstone" wrote

Not at all. The other day I drove through a bit of fog (car outlines always visible nver les than 200 yards away). I only put my lights on (just dips - not fogs) to make myself visible amongst all the lights. Why are they needed in broad daylight?

Unless I am on an unlit road in the dark, I always have the elevation dial on lowest setting.

Reply to
DavidR

I'm aware of the Mail's bias but seriously all the Commission ever seems to do is generate more laws, a lot of which are plain ridiculous.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore