Dipped Headlights.

What conditions?!?

They are still distracting, and completely unneccessary in broad daylight.

Reply to
Peter Hucker

Indeed you haven't.

Reply to
Brimstone

Unless it's raining, when you're almost totally unnoticeable in most van & truck wing mirrors.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

[...]

It works just the same. If you draw more current off the alternator, it becomes harder to turn.

In some older cars if you sit there idling and then turn the lights on the revs noticeably drop a bit because of the extra load.

How does it actually work? I probably have the details wrong, but basically although it's all spinning around you've got an electric current, a magnetic field, and a force all at right angles to each other. Draw more current and the voltage drops. To keep the voltage at

14V (without turning the alternator faster) you need to make the magnetic field stronger by increasing the current in the field coil. This means you're turning against a stronger magnet and so putting more force in.
Reply to
Ben C

About as ridiculous as watching anyone doing anything they don't know how to do properly. Push pull steering is easy once learnt, being my much preferred method of steering.

Reply to
Raymond Keattch

A term always used by those that don't understand its uses and can't do it.

Reply to
Raymond Keattch

Yes it can, but is speed of rotation the only quality required when driving on public roads?

Reply to
Raymond Keattch

Oh do grow up.

Reply to
Peter Hucker

Agreed - by broad daylight I meant a clear bight day, not pissing with rain.

Reply to
Peter Hucker

Do you have a medical problem which means you can't grasp something with your hand very well?

Reply to
Peter Hucker

You've made a statement that is significantly different from the considered opinion of numerous bodies that deal in matters of road safety but cannot or will not provide anything to back it up and yet expect to be taken seriously. Indeed you should grow up.

Reply to
Brimstone

So again, a contention but nothing to support it other than to cast doubt on a questioner.

Reply to
Brimstone

I said there is no reason. You said there was. I cannot explain a lack of reason, however you can explain a reason.

Peter Hucker

hand very well?

Do you have a coordination problem that only allows one hand on the wheel at a time?

Reply to
Raymond Keattch

under a second with one hand. Try doing that with both hands.

Explain the need to steer at that rate, all the time, on public roads.

Reply to
Raymond Keattch

You could explain why your opinion differs so markedly from the said bodies.

Is that the limit of your argument?

Reply to
Brimstone

A *new* small battery, at whatever temperature the standard says Ah should be measured at.

Make it a two year old battery and a cold day and 50% may be 10% more than it had to start with...

Reply to
PCPaul

However in those circunstances the disadvantages are negligible. Wheras a large percentage of the population don't turn them on when it is pissing with rain.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

hand very well?

I don't open a door with both hands either, it's just not necessary. Do you hate having a hand doing nothing? Are you tempted to play with yourself or something?

Reply to
Peter Hucker

in under a second with one hand. Try doing that with both hands.

I was referring to 3 point turns and parking.

Reply to
Peter Hucker