Dipped Headlights.

would get in the way of my arm while steering normally.

The first time I saw the device it was on a Wolseley car - a 6/80 model, I think - and that was in 1956 or 1957.

Best wishes all, Dave.

Reply to
TripleS

having to slide hands or cross arms

You really can't think of at least two?

Eh?

Lets get this straight. I make an assumption you are steering with your right hand. If you are turning left, and your right hand is at the nine o'clock position, you move your let hand to the wheel and move your right hand to operate a control on the right?

An example may be turning left into a side road, when a child is observed about to run out from behind a car. If the horn was on the right stalk, how could a warning be given quickly? With your method, the left hand couldn't do it because the right hand is in the way, so you would need to move the left hand to grab the wheel and move the right hand to the stalk - rather wasted time in an emergency. If it was a child, the changeover of hands may lead to a moment where no hand is on the wheel as the driver moves quickly to steer and operate controls.

Using pull-push, each hand stays on its own side of the steering wheel, avoiding the hands & arms crossing each other. Even if the hands are at the 12 or 6'oclock position, they may need sliding just an inch for the control to be in reach.

Reply to
Raymond Keattch

It is a technique that takes practice to master. Drivers tend to shuffle the wheel by only using a couple of inches movement up and down, and this leads them to feel the steering wheel can't be turned quick enough. If the hands are moved fully from 12 to 6'oclock, it is an easy technique.

I personally can't steer now using rotational steering when on the move

- it feels so unnatural to have arms crossed and away from the controls.

Reply to
Raymond Keattch

Thus you would fail the Albertan driving test.

Reply to
Brimstone

Reply to
TripleS

Had I not clicked the wrong button there, I was going to express surprise that an advanced driver should be so lacking in versatility.

Best wishes all, Dave.

Reply to
TripleS

The idiots defending themselves - LOL

I gather by extending their logic then people who use no hands (knees maybee?) are even better than the one handed

Reply to
tommy

I never cross arms, as I use only one!

Reply to
Peter Hucker

You're not very good at logic. That's like saying dipped lights are better than sidelights in the pissing rain, therefore full beam is even better.

Reply to
Peter Hucker

I would certainly expect that to be the result of rushed arms being moved about. When controls are at the fingertips, it works fine.

Also, it is very interesting you used the term 'angrily' when using a horn.

Reply to
Raymond Keattch

I noticed that. It's not a good sign.

Best wishes all, Dave.

Reply to
TripleS

Not when the same hand is moving vertically to control the steering. I prefer a dedicated hand for a control.

When trying to avoid an impact with someone I tend to concentrate on braking and steering, not horning. The horn is used to indicate that the other driver has just done something stupid. Or depending on where he's positioned, the middle finger or repeated vertical motion of the right hand flexing at the wrist.

Reply to
Peter Hucker

a dedicated hand for a control.

and steering, not horning.

motion of the right hand

Enough said :-(

Reply to
Raymond Keattch

That was the original premise of my posting

DUH :)

Reply to
tommy

How else do you tell the guy in front of you that you just had to brake sharply to avoid him pulling onto the roundabout in front of you?

Reply to
Peter Hucker

Reply to
Peter Hucker

sharply to avoid him pulling onto the roundabout in front of you?

I wouldn't bother trying to tell him, but it hardly ever happens to me so it's not something I get worked up about. Blowing horns angrily at other road users does nothing to help such situations. All it does is get you more agitated, and risk a road rage incident, and perhaps even startle or distract other road users, and thus increase the likelihood of yet more problems with other people.

If I may say so, I think you might be better advised to consider if there is more that you could have done to avoid the problem, rather than sounding off about what you consider to be entirely his fault.

Best wishes all, Dave.

Reply to
TripleS

sharply to avoid him pulling onto the roundabout in front of you?

It teaches him that he wasn't driving correctly, hopefully he will not do it to the next person.

It releases anger in a non-dangerous way.

He can start one if he likes, but sounding a horn is not seen as road rage in the eyes of the law.

And alert them to a disruption of the flow of traffic.

I did avoid the problem, I braked. If I hadn't have avoided the problem, I would have hit him and claimed some nice insurance payouts.

Reply to
Peter Hucker

sharply to avoid him pulling onto the roundabout in front of you?

to the next person.

the eyes of the law.

By the time you've finished you'll have done as much damage to the peaceful flow of traffic as the guy that pulled out in front of you.

Best wishes all, Dave.

Reply to
TripleS

Good grief, where do you get these ideas from? A warning given in anger teaches nothing. The other driver will just consider you a numptie for DARING to sound the horn!

The only wat to become a better driver is to ask yourself why you got so close to the other vehicle. What could you have done to spot the danger earlier and do something about it. That is the response of a sensible and mature person - sounding your horn in anger just raises the tension, is more likely to get a negative response and may even lead to a road rage incident.

Wrong. Anger generates more anger.

The horn and headlight flashers are not there to show anger - their use is quite clear in the HC.

If you braked and avoided the situation, why did you need the horn?

Reply to
MrBitsy