Dipped Headlights.

Because when we take such care never to make mistakes, these stupid people that are always pulling out in front of us need to be shown the error of their ways? No, I don't buy it either.

Best wishes all, Dave.

Reply to
TripleS

If nobody tells him he made a mistake, he will continue to make that mistake.

Perhaps because the other driver did something he should not have done?

Pretend to be French and give way to someone entering a roundabout?

Which would be entirely his fault in the eyes of the law. Sounding a horn is not illegal.

No it does not. Holding anger inside is bad for you. Go speak to a psychiatrist.

The HC also tells us that flashing full beam warns of your presence. Next time there is someone waiting to pull out from a side street, flash your headlights to warn them you're there. They will pull in front of you.

Because if someone was in my position that had not been so quick with the brakes, he would have caused an accident.

Reply to
Peter Hucker

sharply to avoid him pulling onto the roundabout in front of you?

to the next person.

the eyes of the law.

WTF is a peaceful flow of traffic? I've seldom seen such a thing. It cannot exist unless every single motorist wants to drive at the same speed. Seen it for a couple of minutes at a time occasionally.

Reply to
Peter Hucker

sharply to avoid him pulling onto the roundabout in front of you?

to the next person.

in the eyes of the law.

I would say it is one where people are going about their business in a fairly harmonious fashion, and not having conflicts. I see quite a lot of it.

That's a shame, but I don't suppose you do much to encourage it.

No, I don't think it requires that at all. What is does require is that people make allowance for what others wish to do, and maintain a general spirit of tolerance and goodwill.

Well there you are then. Do the best you can to promote a bit more of it. It's not too difficult.

Best wishes all, Dave.

Reply to
TripleS

You think sounding a horn angrily at someone, is a good way to pass on information? The other drivers response was probably more along the lines of, 'what a prat, there was plenty of room for me'.

A good driver will anticipate others mistakes and take action to avoid getting too close.

You need to do whatever it takes to avoid hitting other people. Rather than continue to the point you need to brake hard and sound the horn, ease off sooner.

No, but using it in anger does not make a situation any better.

Why get angry - do you really think you can drive anywhere and not see any poor driving?

Then don't flash the headlights quickly.

You saw the danger and avoided it - why the horn?

Reply to
MrBitsy

cannot exist unless every single motorist wants to drive at the same speed.= =A0Seen it for a couple of minutes at a time occasionally.

In this country, you are probably correct, it doesn't happen, but in other countries, eg USA and Australia, it does. The reason? They don't exceed the speed limit. So everything trundles along at the speed limit minus 1kph. Why are they so law abiding? Because in Oz certainly the cops don't pussy-foot around with their speed cameras. They'll hide in hedge bottoms on a long straight road to try and catch you out, for example. My mate got done for 51kph in a 50kph limit. That's like 30.6mph in a

30 limit. "It's not a target speed it's a maximum speed" is their view. No ACPO guidelines as to what amount of grace you should be allowed.

End result... you don't speed. Couple that with the fact that they don't have different speed limits for lorries and it means that everything cruises along at the same speed. You don't get all the brake lights coming on when a lorry at 56mph pulls out to overtake one doing 55.9mph.

Great! You sit there with cruise control on and just flow along with the rest for mile after mile. You don't realise how great it is driving in Oz until you come back to the UK and get on the M25!!!

BobC

Reply to
BobC

BobC (BobC ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

There are slight population density differences, of course...

Reply to
Adrian

All the more reason in heavily populated areas for discipline and some thought to what's going on around one.

Reply to
Brimstone

You're really not understanding this are you, Ray?

The most important thing here is make the culprit realise that he's made a terrible error and that we're all very cross with him, and he must not do it again, or else...! These people need teaching a lesson. ;-)

Best wishes all, Dave.

Reply to
TripleS

Yes, it means "careful!" or "pay attention!"

Or "oops, sorry!"

Correct, but I shouldn't have to. One day he will do it in front of a bad driver.

If someone cuts in front of you, easing off won't stop you hitting them.

Tough shit. He can start a fight if he wishes.

That's no reason to ignore it.

What?

I just told you, some drivers may not brake in time.

Reply to
Peter Hucker

exist unless every single motorist wants to drive at the same speed.  Seen it for a couple of minutes at a time occasionally.

That would be just as annoying (and dangerous), sitting watching your speed all the time for fear of getting caught. The best country to drive in is France. Everyone drives fast.

Reply to
Peter Hucker

I suspect you've already given him the ideal opportunity to do exactly that. :-)

Best wishes all, Dave.

Reply to
TripleS

Not necessarily so! I was in my mind comparing like for like.

Yes, comparing the M25 to the Stuart Highway in NT would be pointless.

But comparing the M25 to the M1 through Geelong, the Melbourne Western Ring Road or the Princes Highway west of Melbourne is reasonable as they can have similar densities to the M25. I've driven the 100km between Geelong and Melbourne never going above

60kph because of the traffic density.

Contrary to popular belief, it ain't all outback in Oz. In fact it's one of the most urbanised countries in the world with 90 odd percent of the population living in one of five big cities.

BobC

Reply to
BobC

d all the time for fear of getting caught. =A0

But that simply isn't how it works! You follwo the rest, and everyone is doing the right speed, 'cos most have their cruise control on. Something we aren't aware of in this country.

That's France, the country with the highest road death rate in Europe? I rest my case!

BobC

Reply to
BobC

60kph? You aren't actually familiar with the M25, are you?
Reply to
Ian Dalziel

Could you point me to that paragraph in the Highway Code? I must have missed it.

Reply to
Ian Dalziel

Do you believe that only what is explicitly stated in the highway code are the only things that people will understand?

Reply to
Dr Zoidberg

I believe that some people don't understand what is explicitly stated in the Highway Code.

Reply to
Ian Dalziel

BobC (BobC ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Well, you could - if your case was right. Which it isn't.

France is now below the EU average, having seen huge falls (nearly halved) since 2000 - whilst ours have been almost static, and may even be on the rise.

Adrian

BobC (BobC ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

No, it isn't.

Don't be silly. Melbourne's population's smaller than that of Greater Manchester.

Lovely, an' all.

Yes, dear. I know, dear. I've seen quite a lot of it. There's a f*ck of a lot of nowt between those few, sprawling and very widely dispersed cities. The entire population of Oz is not that far different from the SE of the UK.

Reply to
Adrian